Johanna

Need a Raptor Hood

Montana Raptor Conservation Center said:

Hey guys,

This is Becky with the Raptor Center in Bozeman. We have a female peregrine that is going to be a permanent resident at the Grizzly & Wolf Discovery Center in West Yellowstone and she needs a hood. Would this be something that you guys would be able to do? She weighs 760-730g. Let me know what you think and a price.

Going to be hard, without having either a pattern or a head.

Hi Becky,

I can make you a female peregrine hood for your girl.  I make various types of falconry gear from all types of leather.  Hoods, gloves, bags, vests, anklets, jesses, hood protectors, lures, even walkets for falconry hunting ID. 

Are you looking for a hood with tooling and designs that would complement shows and photo shoots or a regular field hood that will take lots of abuse? 

Here is some of my work. 

IMG_7541.JPG

IMG_7542.JPG

IMG_7543.JPG

IMG_7544.JPG

IMG_7545.JPG

IMG_7552.JPG

IMG_7567.JPG

More falconry gear

IMG_7536.JPG

IMG_7540.JPG

IMG_7553.JPG

IMG_7555.JPG

IMG_7538.JPG

IMG_7571.JPG

IMG_7572.JPG

IMG_7574.JPG

See huberhoods.com, a maker of dutch hoods. There are also inexpensive falconry hoods listed on ebay ($20-$30). Like lasts for shoes, there are forms for making  hoods to fit various size birds (many sizes and a few makers of these forms, eg. Tait, Rollins, Slijpers Cannon, each with it's own sizing guidelines for various species) as the hood needs to fit the falcon properly over eyes, beak, etc. A search of 'falconry supplies' is a good place to start.

ARE….. the power of the internet… gone are the days when we had to write a letter & post it hoping that the recipient could shed some light on where you could acquire a hood for a peregrine.

Great stuff!!!

Hawker, that is some FANTASTIC WORK!!!!!

I used to know a falconer and his gear was nowhere near as fancy.

As long as it doesn't impede functionality, there's nothing wrong with a little extra style :); your gear looks like it fits that bill perfectly.

All the best for the future!

Black Dogg

Edited by Black Dogg