I haven't posted anything I made for a while.  This goes back to my Christmas orders and it's the first time I've tried making a case for darts.  There are some things I'll do differently on the next one and I see lots of room for improvement, but overall I'm happy with it and the customer's boyfriend loved it.

The outer part was 3/4 oz. vegtan.  The interior was made with a 2 oz. vegtan and a pigskin liner. 

front.jpgback.jpg

interior.jpg

The top part of the interior in this picture (which is actually the left side) holds the flights (the fins on the back of the dart) and has a pocket at the bottom which can hold the dart points, both of which can be removed from the darts.  The right hand side has elastic loops to hold the barrels of three darts with a open pocket at the bottom to enclose the points if they are still attached to the barrels. 

Like I said, plenty of room for improvement especially with the stitching (which was all done by hand) but not bad for a first for me.

Bob

Bob... I'd be proud to carry my darts in that... looks great.  Whether you've been doing this for a week or for 20 years, there IS always room for improvement, the trick is to recognize that and strive to make those improvements every time you craft something.

30 minutes ago, Crashresq said:

Bob... I'd be proud to carry my darts in that... looks great.  Whether you've been doing this for a week or for 20 years, there IS always room for improvement, the trick is to recognize that and strive to make those improvements every time you craft something.

Thanks!  I'm always working on new skills and techniques.

Cool.  Got any pics with the darts in it?

Awesome, that geometric stamping is beautiful!

6 hours ago, Bigfoote said:

Awesome, that geometric stamping is beautiful!

I will second that, What stamp have you used?

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 3:47 PM, immiketoo said:

Cool.  Got any pics with the darts in it?

Sorry Mike, I didn't think to take any with the darts and flights in it.

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 11:20 PM, AussieMade said:

I will second that, What stamp have you used?

This stamp is made by Wayne Jueschke in Elco, NV.  He makes some of the best geometrics in the business, IMO.

I like it a lot! In fact, if anything it's too nice for darts. ;)

The only thing I waffle about is your use of elastic strips. I wrestle with this sort of thing all the time. My prediction is that the rest of the case will just be getting a nice patina when the elastic loses its elasticity or rots. 

I have the same problem with Velcro. I cringe when a client requests Velcro closures over my usual solid brass snaps. I tell people that they will hand my leather products down to their next generation. Not so if they use Velcro closures. Velcro, and other plastic/rubber man-made materials I'm aware of like it that can be used as closures wears out. It gathers detritus that cogs the loops and the hooks gradually straighten out with use.

I wish I had an alternative. I suppose leather loops are the only other means of holding the shaft of the dart that will last as long as the rest of such a case. That's what I use for pens when I make a portfolio or loops for shotgun, pistol or rifle shells.

I'd be delighted if anyone can suggest a better loop material than elastic strips and an alternative to snap-type closures other than Velcro.

Thanks!

Michelle

Edited by silverwingit

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 6:09 AM, silverwingit said:

I like it a lot! In fact, if anything it's too nice for darts. ;)

The only thing I waffle about is your use of elastic strips. I wrestle with this sort of thing all the time. My prediction is that the rest of the case will just be getting a nice patina when the elastic loses its elasticity or rots. 

I have the same problem with Velcro. I cringe when a client requests Velcro closures over my usual solid brass snaps. I tell people that they will hand my leather products down to their next generation. Not so if they use Velcro closures. Velcro, and other plastic/rubber man-made materials I'm aware of like it that can be used as closures wears out. It gathers detritus that cogs the loops and the hooks gradually straighten out with use.

I wish I had an alternative. I suppose leather loops are the only other means of holding the shaft of the dart that will last as long as the rest of such a case. That's what I use for pens when I make a portfolio or loops for shotgun, pistol or rifle shells.

I'd be delighted if anyone can suggest a better loop material than elastic strips and an alternative to snap-type closures other than Velcro.

Thanks!

Michelle

Thanks Michelle, I agree with you on the elastic.  I used it here because I didn't know the diameters of the dart barrels in this case, and since the top is open and the darts could potentially just slide out of the case, I didn't want to take the chance of having leather loops that were too big.  It's one of the design concerns I have about this case and if I make a second one I think I will make it zippered so everything is contained if it gets loose inside.

I agree on the Velcro too.  I've used it when I can't come up with a good way to use a snap.

Very excellent work so it is

A thought about the elastic; what about using thin-ish belly leather. I find it has enough stretch in it to be slightly elastic and will conform to various diameters.

I used some as a pen holding loop on somat, it was stretchy enough to accommodate a few diameters of pen sizes

I only use velcro on the cheap throw-away items made up from scrap. For my regular items its not allowed, has to be a proper closure fitting.

16 hours ago, fredk said:

Very excellent work so it is

A thought about the elastic; what about using thin-ish belly leather. I find it has enough stretch in it to be slightly elastic and will conform to various diameters.

I used some as a pen holding loop on somat, it was stretchy enough to accommodate a few diameters of pen sizes

I only use velcro on the cheap throw-away items made up from scrap. For my regular items its not allowed, has to be a proper closure fitting.

Thanks for the suggestion fredk, hadn't thought of trying a stretchy leather like that.  I'll give that a shot.  I agree about the Velcro.

I would just assume that the darts would always have a tip attached, and make that bottom pocket enclosed. Make loops like on a gun belt for the barrels, and then have a flap that lays over the top sort of like you do with a tool roll. The other option would be to build it with the hinge at the top rather than the side, similar to this screwdriver case I made.

Finalb.JPG

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 10:16 AM, TheCyberwolfe said:

I would just assume that the darts would always have a tip attached, and make that bottom pocket enclosed. Make loops like on a gun belt for the barrels, and then have a flap that lays over the top sort of like you do with a tool roll. The other option would be to build it with the hinge at the top rather than the side, similar to this screwdriver case I made.

I like that design Cyberwolf.  If I make another one I will probably go more that with that style.