Reegesc

Pair of Good Luck Work Boots

A surprise Welcome Home gift for a buddy returning from his fourth tour in Afghanistan -- two with the Marines and last two as a Security Contractor.    He says the pay is better but the duty is a lot more dangerous nowadays.  So these are his good luck boots -- he returns for a fifth tour in eight weeks.

The boots were made using the "Stichdown" method and are modified from my regular Chukka Boot pattern (last pic -- also a recent pair) with a higher top, exterior toe cap, and some tooling.   The treaded rubber soles are also handmade from conveyor belt rubber.  I didn't to take a pic but I carved the tread with lightening bolts on the front half of the soles  and the Marine's "RECON Seal" in the heels.

Josh's Boots-1.JPG

Josh's Boots-2.JPG

Josh's Boots-3.JPG

Regular Chukka.JPG

Thanks guys.  It's not as hard as you might think. No special tools beyond what you already have are necessary other than a pair of shoe lasts and you can make a rudimentary set of lasts fairly easily too.   I've been intending on putting together a Men's shoe/bootmaking tutorial for some time now based on what I've learned through trial and error the past couple years.  Maybe this Spring.  We'll see.  In the meantime you might try the reverse engineering approach.  That's how I got started.  Well actually I started with Flip Flops, then to sandals, then shoes.    Nevertheless, once you take a pair of shoes apart it pretty much demystifies the whole dealeo.  

I have a Flip Flops tutorial that may be of some help.  A place to start anyways.   

Edited by cseeger

I would be interested in your shoe tutorial.

The boots look awesome.

Very nice