Sign in to follow this  
Bolt Vanderhuge

Shipping questions, packing materials and carriers?

I just started to make holsters to sell. I actually just shipped my first one today. I am curious what you all have found to be tried and true safe methods for packing your leather goods? Also what carriers do you choose to use and why?

Edited by Bolt Vanderhuge

Bubble wrap and crumpled up newspaper. I shipped through the United States Post Office By Priority Mail.

Edited by Troy I

The main issue is that carriers won't have the same respect for your work that you do. I use acid free tissue paper to protect the surface, bubble wrap to protect the item, put the whole lot in a black garbage bag to make sure it can't get wet and newspaper/styrene beads/whatever I've got to fill any gaps in the box.

Obviously I'm shipping in the UK, but the packaging is about the same!

Ray

Assuming you're talking about a holster or two per package:

Priority mail through the post office.  Boxes are free, insurance is included, and it's pretty quick, and darn reliable.  Couple tips:

• Don't put your leather in plastic bags and seal it.  This is sometimes referred to as "casing' leather.  Somebody will be here in a minute to argue that there won't be any moisture in the bag, but I assure you if it takes any time at all to deliver, there will be (humidity, condensation due to temp changes, etc.).  Not good for holsters.
  • And, I don't use newspaper.  I have seen that stuff bleed off the newsprint onto whatever you're shipping.  You get an item with backwards writing on it ;)

If your orders are more like 20 or 50 at a time, then perhaps a courier would work better for you.

Priority mail is my preference for shipping goods. The included insurance is only for $50 though. After that it adds $2 something and up. But yeah I do like that they deliver fast and 6 days a week. Well even on Sundays in certain cities if they are also delivering in the area for Amazon. I noticed FedEx is about $2 cheaper than the flat rate for medium boxes. I can get boxes for $0.50. So it would be a savings but again I do really like the speed of USPS and the delivery schedule over that of the other guys. Good to know that there are others that like them too.

Edited by Bolt Vanderhuge