moscar80

Edge Paint or Dye On Two Dissimilar Leathers sandwiched together

Hello everyone, 

I'm new to leather, and have OCD tendencies when it comes to doing something correctly. I'm getting into making myself watch straps as a hobby. 

I have various exotics,  regular leathers, some chromexcel, some shrunken shoulders, shark, elephant, etc. I haven't started yet, as I want to know what not to do. 

I'm trying to figure out what the correct way to dye or edge paint two dissimilar leathers. Say using leather type 1 on top, and a second leather as the liner against the wrist. 

For example, if I want to make a strap out of elephant, and use Horween Dryden as the liner. The elephant has no pull up that I can see. The Dryden is a waterproof nubuck that is combination tanned. 

Is there somewhere that I can learn what types of leather finishes are needed for each type of product? 

And when to know what to use? edge paint, or dye and seal it with beeswax/burnish? 
I know the easiest answer is to take a piece of each and experiment. Easier said than done when you've collected 30+ hides and need long term destructive testing done on each method. So I'm searching for a table, list, someone's experience, general rules, etc. I don't want to make too many mistakes. 

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

Lance

Well, Lance, you're going to have some mistakes. That's just part of it.

My number 1 suggestion to anyone is take a few scraps along the way through the entire project. Watch straps aren't going to be using much material to begin with.

So, cut yourself 2 of everything. They don't have to be the same shape, just something to try out every step along the way. If they are the same make sure to mark the testers.

Chrome tan/multi tan is not going to be easy to burnish. I can only say each piece or side is going to take a little different technique. 

The chrome tanned and unidentified leathers I have played with just haven't done too well.

This is the best chrome tanned burnish I have achieved.

FB_IMG_1474745084511.jpg

It looks a little better in person, but not like a piece of veg tan.

I haven't played with the exotics but I imagine most of them will be chrome tanned.

And on another note, even the best veg tan is difficult to burnish when it is so thin as a watch band.

I suggest edge coating these bands if yours and saving yourself some headaches. But, I have only just recently delved into edge coating, so I have little to offer.

Tandy has a lot of their fenice edge dressing on clearance right now. I bought three colors in 32 oz. Bottles for 8 bucks a piece. 

Good luck.

Edge paint. Skip the Fiebing's Edge Kote and use one of the professional edge paints. Fenice, Uniters, Giardini, Stahl or Vernis.

No need to waste time or leather experimenting, or burnishing anything besides straight veg tanned.

Here are some other options for finishing an edge:

Turned or Folded edge.

Bound edge.

French bound edge.

Turnover allowance.

Here's an edge on a sheath I did. I used Fenice and did several coats and sanded up to 1500 grit then hit it with paraffin wax.

sheath.jpg

Edited by thefanninator

Thanks very much for the tips guys. 

I was under the impression that edge paint is the answer I was going to receive. I'm a fan of thick straps, so mine will mostly be 24 or 26mm wide, and 4-5mm thick. Pretty thick by strap standards.  

In my inexperienced perception, edge slicking with a dremel seemed like the go to easy way to not screw it up since I certainly do not have a surgeons hands, and was afraid that using edge paints without absolute precision would make my work look ametuerish.  But, I'll do whatever it takes to get good. 

I was also hesitant to just sue edge paint since I'm concerned with long term durability, peeling, etc. 

So, just to clarify, the consensus is that unless its veg tan, edge paint it?

Bikermuttt, thanks for the tandy clearance tip--I just checked the site out, and can't find that they carry it online? Did you score that deal in store? I see the new eco-flo stuff, but the other style white bottles with the fenice logo in the upper left corner of the label isn't on there as far as I can tell. 

Fanninator, that edge does look nice. 

Thanks very much for the advice guys.

Edited by moscar80
Update

There's a few more things I'd like to add.

If you are going to burnish... follow Hidepounder's thread:

I use Tandy's Edge paddle tool for edge paint application... you might find you like using an awl or scratch awl better.

Edge paint will peel eventually especially on the bend of a wallet or something. It can be repaired. Just sand it off, clean it up and repaint.

Yes it was in the store. Bossier city Louisiana. They may be willing to ship if you call them. I don't know if they do or not. I was in yesterday and they still had plenty of natural, black, and brown.

As for procedure try this.....FB_IMG_1471381764775.jpg

Use your table top as a guide for your two lower fingers. I also use this for gum trag.

On 2/7/2017 at 4:18 PM, moscar80 said:

Thanks very much for the tips guys. 

I was under the impression that edge paint is the answer I was going to receive. I'm a fan of thick straps, so mine will mostly be 24 or 26mm wide, and 4-5mm thick. Pretty thick by strap standards.  

In my inexperienced perception, edge slicking with a dremel seemed like the go to easy way to not screw it up since I certainly do not have a surgeons hands, and was afraid that using edge paints without absolute precision would make my work look ametuerish.  But, I'll do whatever it takes to get good. 

I was also hesitant to just sue edge paint since I'm concerned with long term durability, peeling, etc. 

So, just to clarify, the consensus is that unless its veg tan, edge paint it?

Bikermuttt, thanks for the tandy clearance tip--I just checked the site out, and can't find that they carry it online? Did you score that deal in store? I see the new eco-flo stuff, but the other style white bottles with the fenice logo in the upper left corner of the label isn't on there as far as I can tell. 

Fanninator, that edge does look nice. 

Thanks very much for the advice guys.

I was in there today. They will ship clearance items so give them a ring.