Hi everyone

i have been making dog collars and leads for some time now and have been asked to make an awful lot of horse things lately. I have discovered that most things for horses must be sewn and I am tired of hand sewing. 

Could anyone recommend a good sewing machine for up to two pieces of 9-12 oz leather? I don't want to spend a ton of money ideally. 

Tandy leather of course only recommends the Boss which seems excessively expensive for a machine powered by a lever. If it was a wheel you spun I could see that more but not a lever. 

Thanks

Holly 

with out question you will need to define what a ton of money is?  Two of the types of machine that comes to mind is either a cowboy 4500 I think it is or the equivalent cobra 4, so other members here might proclaim that one is far great than the other, but, either way your looking at 2300.00 to 2700.00 dollars for either of these machines.  I just happen to be up late and came to read what might be new postings, so by the morning or midday Monday you will probably have far greater mounds of info with a bias as to why you should select one machine over the other, but the bottom line is the price in the range that I mentioned above.

Ron

Hi Ron

thanks for answering me. The problem I have is that I am worried that I won't make back the money I spent on the machine as I predominantly make dog collars that rarely require stitching. It is a new venture into horse gear that I really need the sewing machine for. I think I really need to find a used machine but it is so hard to know if it is in good shape. I am in Canada and I have never seen any machines for sale ever that sew that thickness in leather. Would you have any suggestions of any reputable places that sell used machines like the cowboy?

thanks

Holly 

Hi Tigerlilyleather,

I'm new to this page but have been working with leather for ten years and have to say the money I've spent on my Artisan 1797AB sewing machine has been well worth it.

Take a moment to reflect on the amount of time you spend hand sewing. It's a considerable amount is it not? By investing in a machine you will finish orders more consistently and more quickly. Your time is valuable and a machine that allows you to do what you love in a more efficient way and provide you with the time to take on new and different business as well. The only way this machine won't pay for it's self is if you stop working altogether. It really is worth it.

Emily

Techsew is in Canada and they keep some used in hand. As far as buying one..... Think how much more you can charge for collars when they only take you ten minutes to sew compared to an hour. You will more collars once the convenience is available.

I don't have a sewing machine and I'm only a hobbyist. This is my experience: I wanted to be able to do a little skiving or splitting for one or two projects I had. I lucked into a deal on a heritage 8 inch skiver. Next thing I know I'm turning to it daily. 

Having access to something in itself will cause you to get your money's worth.

Good luck.