WVHunter129

Hello from a newbie from WV

Hello,

My name is Juddie (pronouced like muddy but with a "J") and I have new to leathercraft.  Just started doing this back in June of 2016 when I made a sheath for my Leatherman.  After doing that I made a few knife sheaths for fixed blades and a couple folders, then started into making some holsters and it just keeps going.  I been looking for a site that I could ask questions or maybe even get some ideas on ways to improve.  I am a member of several Facebook groups about leather crafting.

Here are some examples of some of my work.  I am very tuff skinned so any comments whether good or bad, any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks for allowing me to join the site.

Juddie (aka WVHunter129)

My work 2.jpg

My work.jpg

20170121_144203319_iOS.jpg

20170128_153607000_iOS.jpg

20161218_192812912_iOS.jpg

4 minutes ago, cjartist said:

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you have been busy and are off to a great start!

Thanks!!  I hope to learn more especially since people in my area are finding out I can do leather work I am starting to get requests for leather items.  I don't want to do shabby work, I want to be able to provide a good, quality product to people.

Welcome Juddie! For a start you are doing great! Your tooling and designs look good. You asked for advise, and the only thing I would work on is your stitching, something that comes with practice. There are loads of videos out there showing how to improve your stitching, I would recommend Nigel Armitage, his are probably the easiest to watch. He gives good advise on tools as well. Your off to a great start and you will get better the more you do, you obviously have the talent for it! Be careful it's very addictive! Have fun, Garry.

20 hours ago, Bigfoote said:

Welcome Juddie! For a start you are doing great! Your tooling and designs look good. You asked for advise, and the only thing I would work on is your stitching, something that comes with practice. There are loads of videos out there showing how to improve your stitching, I would recommend Nigel Armitage, his are probably the easiest to watch. He gives good advise on tools as well. Your off to a great start and you will get better the more you do, you obviously have the talent for it! Be careful it's very addictive! Have fun, Garry.

Thanks Bigfoote!!  I appreciate the comments and I will look for that video.  I know the one thing that I need to get to help me with stitching is a stitching pony.  If I can either build one myself or purchase one, then I can do the saddle stitching instead of the stitching that I learned from the kit I bought at Hobby Lobby for my Leatherman sheath.  With that kit the stitching was starting at one end and go to the other then back to the beginning again and tie off.  Thanks again for the welcome and your suggestions!

I just recently bought an awesome stitching chisel from Leathercrafttools.com It was around $25 for a two tooth and a six tooth chisel, and they work better than anything else I have used. https://leathercrafttools.com/item?id=6540 Get yourself a set of these, #4, and you will be well on your way. Delivery was 15 days. Watch this as well.

8 hours ago, WVHunter129 said:

Thanks Bigfoote!!  I appreciate the comments and I will look for that video.  I know the one thing that I need to get to help me with stitching is a stitching pony.  If I can either build one myself or purchase one, then I can do the saddle stitching instead of the stitching that I learned from the kit I bought at Hobby Lobby for my Leatherman sheath.  With that kit the stitching was starting at one end and go to the other then back to the beginning again and tie off.  Thanks again for the welcome and your suggestions!