brmax

Tripod recommendations

Hey just trying to consider a boom type tripod I could use over a work table that I use a lot!

I could really like heavy duty within a small budget here if that can play into any ideas you may have experience with. I know i dont need to explain that standard comment but hey it does set a wavy line anywayB)

Nothing big in weight at the present for cameras, but these or this boom would possibly be used as an actual light boom other times. 

I seen some just "glancing" over the net and wanted to put this ? up for some of your ideas please, its appreciated.

My regular spotting scope tripod just doesn't fit the bill for hanging over a table or leather sew machine. So trying to address this i picked up a small joby tripod and though I like it i really need a boom if im hanging around a machine many times.

Thanks and good day

Floyd

In some goofing off time last evening I had searched around for a boom stand as mentioned above. Anyway I found one and with some pretty good reviews I did the PayPal and it was on the way from email transactions. 

In some reviews the wheels were mentioned so with that and my concrete floor not counting the machine cords, im sure i will look into some bigger locking wheels, but hey these may be perfect. I will need to look into some accessory parts for the mic end and possibly use an adapter with tripod style. Anyway here's a link, and I will in future try to shed some lite again on this.

good day

Floyd

http://www.acedivisioninc.com/Studio-Microphone-Boom-Stand.html

Just in case some are interested I seen a pretty cool item, this I seen some musicians using for a variety of reasons.  Anyway this smartphone holder and it mounts on the microphone stand. I had seen a few using another big style for a i pad doing sheet music so caught my eye. Seen another doing play backs for practice so hey i took a closer look.

Picked this model; bke-mx1,  at about 15.00 and it works pretty darn good, its really made for the small 5/8" tube on a boom stand. I didn't realize many are getting mounts for bicycles fwiw.

https://www.amazon.com/ChargerCity-Microphone-iPhone-Galaxy-Smartphones/dp/B01N97JSTH

It seems to hold the 7+Iphone well, and doing a few photos i used a big stanley tape measure. Its was a bit heavier than the phone and It worked well for an example. This was abstract but kinda helped show the boom length and it ran about 70" extension length so the boom mic stand will be great using other side of the tables.

Its odd doing pics or videos trying to illustrate or just goof off to show a few tips around a machine but in some tech classes I was in it really fits the group. Using this and being able to show on a bigger screen where more people can see a certain topic being explained. What i found doing this initially the small table tripod shook from the machine running so in a video the auto focus was getting whooped. 

I had mentioned the wheels on the new stand and others review of this. I found they are small like a 2" wheel but have a double loc, so they will work fine. The stand is actually pretty good for free shipping considering 15 lbs and about a 48" boxed package, the 60.00 stand is a pretty slick stand and always able to benefit the band! 

If later a need for a mic or a light I believe the same stand here can be used in short order so a total 75 bucks I'm ok with. Now I can put the ole tripod back up, and glad! as its camouflaged and can be tough working around.  

In closing keep an eye on any boom mic stands they come in handy while being out of the way.

Have a good day 

Floyd

That's an interesting adaptation you've come up with.  I spent a fair bit on my camera head and tripod legs, but it's holding a full size camera and not a cell phone.

Now that you've had them a while, how do you like the functionality?

I ruined 2 cheap Chinese alu tripods and last year I bought a used vintage VELBON VS-3 for a few bucks (really just a few) - very versatile and very sturdy!!! This is an almost full metal tripod and really bomb proof. Bought a cheap clamp for smartphone and I´m very pleased with the hole setup. I don´t think I yet have figured all the "adjustables". It´s an very impressive tripod - at least for me but I´m not a Pro.

Found this YT video very informative

Edited by Constabulary