buckarooTB

Rosette Cutter

Hello, just curious what brand you all think makes the best rosette cutter? Right now I am looking at either one from Douglas tools or one from CS Osborne. CS Osborne is a bit more affordable but if I would rather buy the best then save a little bit. Also what size do most of you get for on saddles? Thankyou

I've thought about buying one too, but just don't cut enough rosettes for the cost. Then too maybe you want several sizes.  Stohlman shows in his saddle making book how to punch your own with a drive punch ground into a half circle.  Doesn't take long to make a rosette and I can make them any size I need for the low cost of a drive punch. -- John

My past experiences - The Douglas ones are going to come sharp and most likely to be ready to use. It is tie between Weaver and CS Osborne new ones. Some are going to be good, some are going to have burs and some are going to be dull as a hoe. None are apt to be duds, they just need some attention first with round rods and fine wet-dry sandpaper. Sizes - I liked 1-3/4 and 1-1/2 mostly, with the occasional  need for 1-1/4.  

I have 2-1/4 (don't use it much, it came with a bunch of other stuff), 2", 1-3/4, 1-3/4 with a cutout, 1-1/2, 1-1/4, and 1".  The 2" and 1-3/4 are the ones I use the most.  The 1-1/4 is a new CS Osborne I bought less than a couple years ago and I was pleasantly surprised on how nice it was.  The 2" came from Big Sky, back when they were in business, and it is the best of the bunch.  The 1-3/4 with a cutout came recently from Texas Dies, but I have a sneaking suspicion it may actually be a Weaver die. Texas paints all their dies black, and this one is the Weaver burgundy.  I've never had a Douglas, but I don't doubt they're better.  If you were going to order just two and use them for saddles, I guess I agree with Bruce, get the 1-3/4 and 1-1/2.  I use the 2" if I'm going to spot the scallops and use a concho.

Douglas all the way. I have 1 3/4", 1 1/2" and an open 1 3/4" for cinch and latigo carriers

Edited by Elton Joorisity