AndyL1

Weaver Strap Edgers

Hey all,

I'm considering buying a Weaver EZ Strap edger. Either the one that trims all four corners at once or the far less expensive machine that does two at a time.

Has anyone had experience with either and possibly recommend which one I should get? The four blade model is quite expensive compared to the two. I don't know if the extra cost is justified.

Thanks for any input!

I looked into them just out of curiosity, myself.

I think volume would dictate which one to get. 10 belts a week or 100.

I can't speak about the one that does all four edges at once but have owned the lesser expensive one for a couple of years.  It is simple to use and works well.  I think the only difference is that I have to pull the belt or strap through twice. Not a big difference unless you are doing a lot of volume. You can pull a hide length belt though in a few seconds.

We use the bigger model in our shop. It works very well, and is easy to use. We usually make 40 to 60 belts at a time, so the time savings is tremendous, and that justifies the high cost. I've not used the smaller version, but I'm sure it works just as well. If you're only doing a few belts at a time, that's probably the way to go.

I have the four sided one and do batches of 25-35 60"+ straps and 25-35 14" straps at once. If you are doing or plan to do volume the extra money is worth it without question. If you are only doing a few belts, straps, or collars here or there the 2 sided one should work just fine. 

I bought the more expensive one a couple years ago when they came on sale at Weaver.  The first day I used it, I wished I'd bought it twenty years ago.  My hands would be in better shape and the time saved pays for the machine in short order if doing lots of strap goods, plus it does such a nice job.  For myself, I wouldn't even consider the one that only does two corners. Time is money.

Thanks all for the insight! I'm leaning towards the more expensive one at the moment. I understand it's less expensive buying through Weaver with a wholesale account.

I also second the EZ edger. If your doing lots of belts, straps, rifle, etc. It will save you a ton of time and the blades last forever. One of the best bench top small tools I ever purchased. Wholesale on it is currently $875

2 hours ago, AndyL1 said:

Thanks all for the insight! I'm leaning towards the more expensive one at the moment. I understand it's less expensive buying through Weaver with a wholesale account.

Yes, and I guess Mark answered that one for you. I think I got it for around $600 when it came on sale.  And I agree with him, one of the best bench machines I ever spent money on. You couldn't pry it away from me now. 

20 hours ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

Yes, and I guess Mark answered that one for you. I think I got it for around $600 when it came on sale.  And I agree with him, one of the best bench machines I ever spent money on. You couldn't pry it away from me now. 

$600 is a steal! I think I could get by with the less $$ one for now but would probably grow out of it quick. Have you sent in the blades for sharpening at all? If so, is the turnaround fairly quick?

Your jaw will drop when you see the difference between Weaver retail and Wholesale. I think they wanted like $1300 for that retail. If I recall I got mine for $8-850. The only thing I wish was a little better was the grabber (sharp pointy leather gouger) I understand there are probably design limitations, however something akin to a spring clamp to grab the pieces would be better than hooking it with a sharp pointed tooth. Totally worth the extra money. One of my top 5 biggest time saving purchases. 

1 hour ago, AndyL1 said:

$600 is a steal! I think I could get by with the less $$ one for now but would probably grow out of it quick. Have you sent in the blades for sharpening at all? If so, is the turnaround fairly quick?

After purchasing the edger and using it for less than a week I purchased an extra set of 4 blades for it. It was evident I did not want down time on this item. That being said, I purchased mine about a year ago. I run probably 25 sections of 70 to 80 inch long latigo through it a day and I'm still on the second cutting position on the blades out of 12 positions. That latigo I use extra stuffed with waxes and oils and I do think that is easier on a blade than just a regular veg tanned leather.

I have not sent mine in yet Andy.  I think I'm on the third position.  In all honesty, I wish I had another one set up with a set of blades for a little lighter weight leather.  I hate changing machines over and changing settings. I want to be able to set one up, whether it's a sewing machine or a spotter or whatever, and leave it set to do that one thing. 

I have a prototype for the 2 cutter Bluegrass edger. Came in a shop retirement set and he said that he was given it to try at a Harness Makers Get-Together some years before. I had it for sale at the Prescott Show last year. First guy that looked at it asked me why I was selling it - he thought it was a better design than the later versions and no gig needed. As soon as he left I stuck it under the table after Ms Rundi asked me why i WAS selling it anyway. I'll get a picture tomorrow. 

12 hours ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

I have not sent mine in yet Andy.  I think I'm on the third position.  In all honesty, I wish I had another one set up with a set of blades for a little lighter weight leather.  I hate changing machines over and changing settings. I want to be able to set one up, whether it's a sewing machine or a spotter or whatever, and leave it set to do that one thing. 

Curious what your edging that is requiring you to mess with other settings besides the knob for strap with. I run everything from 5-6 oz to 14 oz through mine and the springs that adjust for thickness do all the work for me. i've never adjusted anything else on it as it edges everything I throw at it perfectly.

10 minutes ago, Mark842 said:

Curious what your edging that is requiring you to mess with other settings besides the knob for strap with. I run everything from 5-6 oz to 14 oz through mine and the springs that adjust for thickness do all the work for me. i've never adjusted anything else on it as it edges everything I throw at it perfectly.

There are blades for different thicknesses of leather. I have the blades for the thickest leather, because that's what most of my work is.  I don't like how much the heavier blades take off a light strap.  Ideally, I would have another machine with the blades for lighter work.  The springs simply hold the work down, you really can't adjust for how much the blades take off, unless I'm missing something.  Otherwise, I would have to take the heavy blades off, put the lighter blades on, and then switch back when going back to heavy work. 

By turning the cutting edge back a bit, you can reduce how much it bevels.  However to loosen the blades and adjust them is prolly about the same work as changing them?  If you only have one set of blades it is a good trick.

9 hours ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

There are blades for different thicknesses of leather. I have the blades for the thickest leather, because that's what most of my work is.  I don't like how much the heavier blades take off a light strap.  Ideally, I would have another machine with the blades for lighter work.  The springs simply hold the work down, you really can't adjust for how much the blades take off, unless I'm missing something.  Otherwise, I would have to take the heavy blades off, put the lighter blades on, and then switch back when going back to heavy work. 

Huh, Ok. Did not know there were different size blades. you might of just cost me more money...:blink:

Glad I could help! :lol:

Both the 4 blade and 2 blade model come standard with #2 blades, but you can request another size when you order it and we will accommodate switching them out.  We have sizes 0, 1, 2, and 3, similar to your standard hand edger sizes.  If you have any other specific questions on either machine, let me know and I will be glad to help.