usmc0341

How do I separate two pieces of glued leather?

A coworker of mine gave me a western gun belt that "shrunk" on him.  It is a ranger belt design and he asked me to move the tab with the holes about 5 inches.  I cut the stitches out before I realized that it is also glued.  My question is how do I get it apart and what do I do about the glue residue that will be left.  I assume it is a contact cement, but I'm not 100% sure and he has no idea.  Sorry if this has been discussed before but my search revealed zero results.  

Thank you,

Brian

I had this happen a few years back almost, . . . in my case the guy ordered a 53 inch cowboy gun belt, . . . and about 6 or 8 weeks later when he showed up, . . . he needed a 56 inch belt.

Though I contact cemented and glued the tongue, . . . I just slit the stitches and gingerly but firmly pulled the short tongue off, . . . made a new tongue that was 3 inches longer, . . . and put it back on in the same spot.

Very few people will ever figure out what happened, . . . and he was really happy, . . . especially with I decided not to charge him for the alteration.

OR:  

Another one I saw done by someone else, . . . cut the belt somewhere the holster does not ride and there are no bullet loops.  Punch each side for laces, . . . make a 5 inch piece that matches the rest of the belt, . . . lace it in the opening.

Either way, . . . best wishes my friend.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks Dwight, I think I'm going to just have to use a new tab to make it look the best.  He wanted to use the same tab so it would match.