JLSleather

Holster / Pattern Videos

Okay, where is it?  You know - that one elusive video that shows me how to make a holster pattern, or the holster.

My baby girl figured out the password on my phone ;)  So I found her on poo-tube... and wouldn't ya know it, there's "holster videos" (sometimes holster stuff comes up in searches around my stuff).

So, I admit it - I watched [portions of] about 10 of 'em.  There I said it :rofl:  

And in turn, each one of them took varying amounts of my time to show me the same thing Stohlman put in a book 50 years ago.  Different gun models, but the same thing.

So, seriously -- those who just want to bicker and argue, please do it elsewhere.  Otherwise, DO tell me where the video is that ACTUALLY DOES show me how to design / make a holster.  I know about the one Sam Andrews made (which I applaud).  Is he still the only one?

Now, I don't mean that a camera is running and there's a holster, and maybe there's a gun right there.  I mean, if someone searched for 'how do i make a leather holster?' .. WHERE would I send them? 

17 minutes ago, Mattsbagger said:

That Sam Andrews video is what made me start working leather.lol 

Yeah, it's the only one I have recommended - he don't give you the pattern, but the info is actually USEFUL.  A fella never made a holster before could watch that video and have a pretty good idea howta go bout it.  THIS is the point.. not another cheap 'hey everybody look at me' promotional poop ;) 

Not that Sam wasnt' doin' a bit of advertising, cuz he was.  But that's the difference between BAD advertising (not a vast knowledge, but has a camera and a desire to get people to spend time on a poo-channel) versus GOOD advertising (a guy who really does know and really will show you). 

THAT is what I'm interested in.  If you make a "how to" video, then it should show how to do it.  Due to the lack of replies here, I guess maybe that's the only one.

Make one.

19 minutes ago, BruceGibson said:

Make one.

Hey, Bruce :wavey:

Actually, I was gonna do that, but Sam had it covered so well that it looked like making one would just make me another one of those in the long line of videos that don't add nuthin' ;)

Perhaps down the road I'll have another idea (hey, could happen...)

Just now, JLSleather said:

Hey, Bruce :wavey:

Actually, I was gonna do that, but Sam had it covered so well that it looked like making one would just make me another one of those in the long line of videos that don't add nuthin' ;)

Perhaps down the road I'll have another idea (hey, could happen...)

I hear ya!  That is a good one--can't remember the name of the guy that shot it, but it was a good job.  You get relocated yet?

Just now, BruceGibson said:

I hear ya!  That is a good one--can't remember the name of the guy that shot it, but it was a good job.  You get relocated yet?

No, but I'm surrounded by boxes of stuff.. does that count?  Wife is gone up that way, so that definitely counts :rofl:

For the price o the house, maybe I should just feel lucky she only bot ONE?!@!

Just now, JLSleather said:

No, but I'm surrounded by boxes of stuff.. does that count?  Wife is gone up that way, so that definitely counts :rofl:

For the price o the house, maybe I should just feel lucky she only bot ONE?!@!

LMAO!  Yep, one's usually enough.  I hate moving, so I'm just gonna die right here. :)

8 minutes ago, BruceGibson said:

Hank Strange. He has mostly long gun videos on his channel. He has 2 or 3 Andrews videos up.

2 minutes ago, Mattsbagger said:

He has mostly long gun videos

Yeah, I thought the Andrews video was longer than it maybe "needed" to be, but in teh end - it's GOOD info, presented clearly and chronologically in order, so no complaints.   It's the ones that ask you to watch for 20 or more minutes and never do say anything useful that irritate...

For me, I'd like to find one or two vids that really go into detail about the pattern making process.  I have to admit that I haven't hunker'd down and spent a lot of time studying it and practicing making them.  But things like, on a pancake or saddle holster as Andrews calls it, if I want the front (outside) piece to be longer so the gun sits say 60/40 or 70/30 verses 50/50, what determines how much longer the outside piece should be cut.  Hope that makes sense.  I have played around with the patterns, but seems to be more of a guessing game until one finally works.  most vids attempting to show the process usually have someone saying "and just add a hair" to the stitch line or "I usually add an 1/8th or 1/4 inch to the measurement", etc.    It also just may be my OCD for specific details.  For cooking recipes, I have no idea what "a pinch"  or "a dash" equals.  :unsure:

Yeah, "detail" would be nice, but I'd actually settle (for now) for just one that actually SAYS something, other than 'here's yet another guy with a camera' :)

I've made a couple patterns here n there, and I don't actually know where I would add 1/8" or 1/4" (except, I do figure in quarters, since that's the spacing of the graph paper).  IF anything, I measure teh gun and subtract a bit for radii 'n' stuff.  I don't know the vids you talk about, so maybe tha's just two guys sayin the same thing a differnt way (?).

At my place, it's more than a 'guess', but I admit that I don't always hit on just what I want the 'first time around'.  But after making the first one, it's generally pretty clear where any revisions are needed (if any).  But we mighta been from the same era... I don't like "skosh" and 'dab' neither (though I do talk about 'stuff').  

But no matter what name a guy gives it, I want holsters with a stitch line that conforms to the gun it was made for.  I don't care for holsters with a stitch line (even the ones some people want money for) but then they had to 'bone' the holster INSIDE the stitch line (that holster will loosen up PURDY QUIK like - up to the stitch line).  I mean, that's what the stitch line is FOR.. otherwise, we could just do like them other folks.. just put a stitch line ANYWHERE IN THE VICINITY, and tehn bone INSIDE of that (this - to be clear - is sarcasm.. I will not be doing that).  I wanna see this ...

2112.jpgUNLESS YOU STRETCH EM, these holsters will not loosen up.

889.jpgDREW1.jpg

Just checkin' in.. still nobody found one, eh?  Yeah, me too. :whistle:

Oh, no ... how scarey is it when you see a video titled .. 'blahblahblah.. PART ONE" :rofl:

Edited by JLSleather

18 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Just checkin' in.. still nobody found one, eh?  Yeah, me too. :whistle:

But I see my daughter did manage to use my account to "like" a bunch of cute puppy videos B)

Edited by JLSleather

Well, there is ONE other worth seeing.  I mean, it's not that long.. only takes a couple minutes in to get to the guns and holsters part.  Says as much about holsters as most (Sam being the exception), and the music playing is actually the property of the correct people!

But then, if you can watch that video, with a saloon full o' girls that look like that, and still be thinking about making holsters -- then you have far larger issues than I'm gonna be able ta help ya with :rofl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWNKHi2joJE

I watched Sam making his shoulder right last night. 1.5 hours but I feel it was time we'll spent.

What song? You heard a song? :rofl:

I haven't seen the shoulder rig discussion -- perhaps I'll watch that one day.  

I DO recommend his video on "saddle" holsters when someone asks about how to this or that.  Yeah, I could make a video, pirate someone else's music, and do the same thing Sam does, but that would just be re-inventing the wheel.  

This, of course, if what poo-tube is... a couple guys actually offering useful, logical information, and a million others wanting in the spotlight (we used to call this a "small man complex", but I suppose that's no longer acceptable?)

Now, on the other hand, I saw the one he did on McCheese, or whatever he called that IWB model (no offense Sam, just playin') and I personally thought that was a bit remedial... like they were both okay, but if you saw one, no point seeing the other.  Sam made the point himself (correctly).. that you can teach anybody leather in a couple days, the rest is just practice.

Edited by JLSleather

Ya i just came across it. Lots of hardware attached. I did find it interesting that he uses neetsfoot compound cause he likes the color of is sun tanned holsters better. As most people on here say it's the Debel.(As the water boy says).Also has a clicker for his most popular stuff. But says it just speeds the process up and only need about 5 tools to do basic leather work.

Yeah, some folks ya kaint tell 'em nuthin'... usedta call 'em "fireaters".. just aint happy if everything goes smoothly ;)

Which for some folks means lots of money for lots of tools -- just so they can say they have 'em , sometimes.  I really like my utility knife (Menards) and my x-acto blades (anywhere at all).  It's not teh $10 I paid for that 100-pack of blades - it's the countless hours I was making projects instead of sharpening knives!

I generally don't find it necessary to oil a holster, except the ones which have been tooled (repeated wetting).  I'm not opposed to it, either.

I do like to have dies for some of teh more popular models.  The more turns and twists.. the greater the time savings (again, it aint about having dies, but rather about gitter done - correctly and quickly).  I got one more die aint showed up yet... and I admit I spent a bit of time designing it :blush:

Thing about Sam's videos, he got that 'good ole boy" routine pretty much down.  But the real issue is he actually shows the process, in the order along with the 'why' of it -- so even a fella unfamiliar to holsters could make one when done watching.  

In contrast, most of the munkys just interested in how many minutes they can keep you sitting there while they throw poo :o

Tru dat. He even explains why he snips one side of a snap under a fold so it doesn't wear. Uses the same hand rivet and snap setters I have too! Lol That sewing machine of his is a beast! He says it won't go through his stainless reinforcement pieces. But I'm not to sure it wont.

Kaint say I understood the part about snipping a snap :whistle:

The base part of the snap. So there is a flat side where the leather folds instead of round. 

Okay, well .. after a week 'n' a day, iss juss you 'n' me goin on about sam -- which I take it to mean either 1) there is no video that actually offers useful info, or 2) there is,but issa secret ;)

Either way -- guess I'll make one juss fer me.  Maybe some info about making them there 75/25 holsters (seam not down teh middle)... but I'd be the only one interested anyway.  Everybody else appears content with bad music and videos which don't actually inform :o

If you would do one without nasty metal "music" and someone's hand in front of the important of the video, there are actually a LOT of people waiting for your video. I know I am. Frankly, though, I don't know where you get the time for all of this. It's a stretch for me to put in the time that I do, until December...retirement...AND I GET MY LIFE BACK!