JLSleather

Holster / Pattern Videos

I really don't 'get' it... if somebody said 'hey- pay attention to me while I take up 20-30 minutes of your life and you gain nothing'.. very few would be 'in' on that.  And yet..  ;)

No point going on about it.  My suggestion is:  when you watched a video, maybe jot down what you actually got out of it.  I understand that some people WANT to be distracted from actually doing anything -- I'm talking to the other ones :o

I'm curious what exactly makes a good video in everyone's opinion? I've seen both ends of the spectrum in various threads - short, concise, only the basics, just a few minutes long, all the way up to full-length, no details skipped, showing every step along the way. I took a poll on one of the holster-related message boards a while back, and the responses were fairly evenly distributed.

My videos aren't the greatest, but I generally try to make each one slightly better than the last. As a visual learner, most of what I know about leather working came from watching YouTube videos and studying photos online. JLSleather - if you decide to make a video, I'm sure I'll watch it, and enjoy every minute of it. What you won't see is me coming here talking negatively about it, because as an amateur video maker myself, I know how much work went into producing it.

22 minutes ago, particle said:

I'm curious what exactly makes a good video in everyone's opinion? I've seen both ends of the spectrum in various threads - short, concise, only the basics, just a few minutes long, all the way up to full-length, no details skipped, showing every step along the way. I took a poll on one of the holster-related message boards a while back, and the responses were fairly evenly distributed.

My videos aren't the greatest, but I generally try to make each one slightly better than the last. As a visual learner, most of what I know about leather working came from watching YouTube videos and studying photos online. JLSleather - if you decide to make a video, I'm sure I'll watch it, and enjoy every minute of it. What you won't see is me coming here talking negatively about it, because as an amateur video maker myself, I know how much work went into producing it.

For me. Don't care about length. No music. Showing how and WHY it's done . I watch them as educational not entertainment. Camera work where I can see what is done as opposed to someone doing something I can't really see. 

I've enjoyed your videos and learned from them.  Camera work is important to see the detail.   Thank you for the effort you've put into sharing your methods, Like Mattsbagger, I'm seeking the education.

10 minutes ago, particle said:

I'm curious what exactly makes a good video in everyone's opinion? ...short, concise, only the basics, just a few minutes long, all the way up to full-length, no details skipped, showing every step along the way. ... As a visual learner, most of what I know about leather working came from watching YouTube videos and studying photos online. JLSleather -...as an amateur video maker myself, I know how much work went into producing it.

You seem to be missing my point. Probably my fault, I may not have spoken clearly.

The duration of the video is not prime importance but, rather, the content.  If it's useful information, then common sense dictates that the video be long enough to convey that information. :dunno:  I don't know that there is an "optimum" length, or if that even matters.

But if someone (anyone) learned leather from videos and online photos, then why not refer others to those materials (since they seem sufficient to the task)?  This is a bit of what I refer to -- the making and re-making of the same content.  Seriously, there are many videos of some guy with a ruler, marking some distance from a gun or a sketch of a gun... which stohlman covered in 30 seconds and didn't need a video!.  

In fact, it seems quite petty to me to learn by watching videos and/or pics by someone else, and then charging others for information which was / is available free of charge.  This is why much of my content is available free, and will continue to be.

Sam Andrews is one good example - to me - of both sides of this coin.   He made a very informative, useful video about making "saddle" holsters (aka "pancake").  What he does is nearly exactly what I do, with the exception of an aluminum burnisher and my slight envy of that stitcher ;) 

One side of the coin, his information is clear, including basic reasoning why he's doing it.  It's useful, to the extent that [short of giving you the pattern] a guy with no experience could actually begin to DO what he showed you.  

Other side the coin -- because a guy could MAKE a 'saddle' holster just from that video, then to make another video which adds nothing to that, would perhaps be teh fruit of a 'small man complex' from someone in need of attention.  Better, I think, to simply copy the link, and when someone asks about how to go about making a 'saddle' or 'pancake' holster and wants video, just send them the link to that one (unless, of course, a guy has a link to a BETTER one).  I've been sending people to that video for a few years (prolly more).  

Hence, no video from Jeff about that same style holster.  Hank and Sam covered that very well.  I assume they put a good amount of "work" into it, but that's also not a factor for me.  Someone spending all weekend on a video has wasted the weekend if the video isn't useful to the people viewing it.

Perhaps just my own impression, it almost seemed a slight tone of 'correction' in that post (weird, huh).  So without creating arguments 'n' such, I 'll just state that I'm a simple guy.  My big problems at the moment are my coffee cup is nearly empty and I can't find my nail clippers :dunno: 

I just try to offer people useful information, presented in a manor they can use without killing 3 hours to do a half-hour project.  Some will use them, and just say thanks.  Some will use them, not say thanks, and almost expect more.  Some will refuse to use them.  Whatever -- each his own.

As for any comments, past or future, from me - again, I'm just simple. I make comments with little regard to where I am. Cards are on the table -- I do not say anything about someone that I wouldn't say to that someone, and anything I say can be freely repeated when and where anyone sees fit.  All I ask is that people repeat what I actually said... not some skewed perception based on their own tendencies (or lack of them).

I now return you to the original question :

So, seriously -- those who just want to bicker and argue, please do it elsewhere.  Otherwise, DO tell me where the video is that ACTUALLY DOES show me how to design / make a holster.  I know about the one Sam Andrews made (which I applaud).  Is he still the only one?

On 2/8/2017 at 9:22 AM, JLSleather said:

DO tell me where the video is that ACTUALLY DOES show me how to design / make a holster.

On 2/8/2017 at 9:53 AM, JLSleather said:

not another cheap 'hey everybody look at me' promotional poop

On 2/8/2017 at 11:15 AM, klaykrusher said:

e front (outside) piece to be longer so the gun sits say 60/40 or 70/30 verses 50/50, what determines how much longer the outside piece should be cut.

Now that's a legitimate, specific question!

On 2/15/2017 at 8:25 PM, alpha2 said:

do one without nasty metal "music" and someone's hand in front of the important of the video

Yep, with ya.

On 2/20/2017 at 10:44 AM, JLSleather said:

e front (outside) piece to be longer so the gun sits say 60/40 or 70/30 verses 50/50, what determines how much longer the outside piece should be cut.

Now that's a legitimate, specific question!

Nobody?  This is a GOOD question which I have never seen addressed in any video.  I would think that many people wouldn't mind paying for that video, if it really did explain that.  This is the type of video I was referring to.

Coming up on a year. :dunno:

Well, I don't know how long it's been, but it was when you flew the coup. I had asked if there was a specific formula for the front piece on a 80/20 holster, or something like that. It's been a while since I asked. I'd done a holster for a rather petite pistol student, for a Smith 3914 that I'd sold to her. I thought that when she tightened her belt, the thing would hold on to her gun with a passion. I've done a couple of your patterns for "less than 80/20" holsters, but don't know if there is an easy formula for the 80/20. I could waste a boatload of leather and time figuring it out for myself, but, since you have obviously done the bit, maybe you have a tip?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

Good to see you back Jeff. I downloaded some of your patterns. Just wanna say thanks. I too am curious about the 80/20 method if there is a formula. I've never seen a video that addresses this problem. I saw videos from a channel called shooters shop that I used because he went into detail on his process but never did he explain the 80/20 or any other combination. 

Thank you for sharing you patterns and knowledge.  Its just unbelievable haw many mistakes and screw-ups I make even with excellent instructions.  So how long is this leather learning curve?  Funny how every mistake makes us better and more confident the next go around.        

HA!  '80/20' is a loose term, basically just means that they are NOT "50/50' equal pieces.  There isn't an actual "calculation" involved.  In fact, I got a message from one guy, said he carefully measured one of my free patterns that said "20° forward cant" but was actually EIGHTEEN degrees. :rofl:

Ohio -- when I'm done making mistakes, I'll let you know ;)

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

HA!  '80/20' is a loose term, basically just means that they are NOT "50/50' equal pieces.  There isn't an actual "calculation" involved.  In fact, I got a message from one guy, said he carefully measured one of my free patterns that said "20° forward cant" but was actually EIGHTEEN degrees. :rofl:

Ohio -- when I'm done making mistakes, I'll let you know ;)

Did he ask for his money back? :bike:

That's funny. And I think there is a calculation when making an '80/20'... Don't you just use the 'wing it's button on the calculator? Haha. :crazy:

yup its next to the:smashcomp: any button!

Yikes -- did I let the get away for another YEAR?@!  Marking ...

TWO YEARS since the original question ... :whistle:

On 2/20/2017 at 9:37 AM, particle said:

JLSleather - if you decide to make a video, I'm sure I'll watch it, and enjoy every minute of it. What you won't see is me coming here talking negatively about it, because as an amateur video maker myself, I know how much work went into producing it.

Ah, there's the problem. You think it's about the video. It's not - it's actually about the INSTRUCTION(s).

things like, on a pancake or saddle holster as Andrews calls it, if I want the front (outside) piece to be longer so the gun sits say 60/40 or 70/30 verses 50/50, what determines how much longer the outside piece should be cut. 

Still a good question.  Didn't I post something on this?  I'll check on that ...

On 2/10/2017 at 5:52 PM, JLSleather said:

In contrast, most of the munkys just interested in how many minutes they can keep you sitting there while they throw poo :o

On 2/19/2017 at 9:05 PM, JLSleather said:

No point going on about it.  My suggestion is:  when you watched a video, maybe jot down what you actually got out of it

These two i'm bringing up from the rear to hi-lite the original question.  After all this time (and probably long before) not only not a video recommend, but not even a "jot down what you actually got out of it"

Since nobody else did, I'll say that Jim Simmon's article on here about making a holster is pretty informative and should be useful to most if not all.

Edited by JLSleather

10 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

JLS,

I lost the quote I wanted but I think the video you posted from Sam with the deep voice is the best information on making the "Flat Back" style of pancake holster.  He shows how he uses a piece of leather to go over the gun at several points marking it at each one then uses those marks to lay out his sticking lines.

Todd

A-HA!  I thought I had commented on this ...

This guy has a good pic in that thread.. showing both THIS ISSUE and the difference between the G17 and the G19 (I get asked about that frequently).

2 minutes ago, Hildebrand said:

JLS,

I lost the quote I wanted but I think the video you posted from Sam with the deep voice is the best information on making the "Flat Back" style of pancake holster.  He shows how he uses a piece of leather to go over the gun at several points marking it at each one then uses those marks to lay out his sticking lines.

Todd

Yeah, Sam (Andrews) did a quick little thing about how to derive your lines.  No frills, no pirated music (sorry!), but very clear and to the point VISUAL INSTRUCTION (which should be the point of a video, but has become the exception) of what we're talking about here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PdKDmcmu8k&t=2s

If you have been complaining about this for two years and still aren't satisfied, why don't you do something about it and make one yourself?  Better yet, I am willing to host a live class with you as the instructor.  For FREE, since you like that word a lot.  That way you can answer questions in real time and put the complaining to rest.  I will make the video available to anyone who wants it at any time.  What do you say?

Yes, good idea. I want to see how Jeff pronounces "hte".:dunno:

I have always been hoping John Bianchi would put his cowboy holster video on line.

I doubt if anyone has taken the time and effort that he did in that old VHS format.  

I learned more from his 3 1/2 hour or so video than any other place I've ever gone.  And while the video was on how to make a western gunbelt and holster for a .45 LC, . . . so much of what he showed was also adaptable to other guns.  Truly a great video series.

One of my "thank you" heroes.

May God bless,

Dwight

3 hours ago, immiketoo said:

If you have been complaining about this for two years ... you can answer questions in real time and put the complaining to rest.  I will make the video available to anyone who wants it at any time.  What do you say?

I'm gonna pass there. I wouldn't have thought - much less said - that I was "complaining".  I know the sun comes up in the east, and i'll say that.  Doesn't imply an opinion about whether it "should" be that way.  But the "make one yourself" does get a bit tired.  Like the name being blue on this site. I donated a few measly bucks a LONG time ago. I was going to donate AGAIN, but then thought... unless all those other names are also blue, it must not be my turn yet ;)

But I like better the idea that IF I was making this video, poo-tube will hold and display it just fine, make it "available to anyone who wants it at any time" .  I prefer not to be affiliated with your site, even in appearance. You do you, as they say.  You'll be fine. I'll be fine.  We'll all be fine.

1 hour ago, Dwight said:

I have always been hoping John Bianchi would put his cowboy holster video on line.

I doubt if anyone has taken the time and effort that he did in that old VHS format. 

I've heard good stuff about those for a long time. I wonder if maybe I should check those out sometime.