JLSleather

Holster / Pattern Videos

Not at all surprising, Jeff.  In fact, I would have been shocked if you had taken the opportunity to put your money where your mouth is, but I wanted to offer you the platform anyway in the spirit of professionalism and promoting the craft.  That's what I do.

I have a different opinion about your motives and "what you do", but it's your story - so you tell it however you like :)

Oh, ETA → "put your money where your mouth is" is generally a phrase used to get someone to do what they said they would do. Not so much what someone else suggested they do.

Edited by JLSleather

In case anybody got sidetracked from the original intent:'

• Something about how to derive '80/20' 
  • no hands in front of the camera
  • no long speeches about "all the time" and the vast skill it took to make the video

I arrived in this conversation late but let me tell you guys about jeff. He has Helped me with a lot of information, and he has given away free patterns to a lot of people . So before you want to Badmouth someone for giving free advise when you charge for trying to promote the craft. I think it pretty obvious your trying to line your pockets.

I'm with wayne, Jeff's helped more of us beginners than anyone i know. He Try s to keep the hobby going and if it costs him $20.00 In the outcome so be it! Thanks  Jeff for all you share and do!

Well, yer welcome boys.   But it aint about me OR Dr Fill-in (you know, a little info mixed in with a bunch of "endorsements"). 

Seriously, folks these days like junkies -- so 'strung out' on likes, favorites, tweets, and selfies they seem to have forgotten how to just say nothing.  If it isn't something you want to do, then don't.  If there's nothing you would specifically like to see, then no need to add to the conversation. 

We aint "promoting the craft" with all the interjections.  Course, I prefer the word furthering the craft, or I could go with "aiding" the craft (promoting is for those advertisers ...).  So, here's a response from just over a year ago (to EricA, whose interest seemed to be "promoting") in an attempt to return to what COULD HAVE BEEN a very simple and legit discussion about WHERE IS the video or if there isn't one WHAT WOULD ONE INCLUDE?

On 2/20/2017 at 10:29 AM, JLSleather said:

You seem to be missing my point. Probably my fault, I may not have spoken clearly.

The duration of the video is not prime importance but, rather, the content.  If it's useful information, then common sense dictates that the video be long enough to convey that information. :dunno:  I don't know that there is an "optimum" length, or if that even matters.

But if someone (anyone) learned leather from videos and online photos, then why not refer others to those materials (since they seem sufficient to the task)?  This is a bit of what I refer to -- the making and re-making of the same content.  Seriously, there are many videos of some guy with a ruler, marking some distance from a gun or a sketch of a gun... which stohlman covered in 30 seconds and didn't need a video!.  

In fact, it seems quite petty to me to learn by watching videos and/or pics by someone else, and then charging others for information which was / is available free of charge.  This is why much of my content is available free, and will continue to be.

Sam Andrews is one good example - to me - of both sides of this coin.  ... his information is clear, including basic reasoning why ... [so that] a guy with no experience could actually begin to DO what he showed you... [and] because a guy could MAKE a 'saddle' holster just from that video, then to make another video which adds nothing to that, would perhaps be teh fruit of a 'small man complex' from someone in need of attention.  Hence, no video from Jeff about that same style holster.  Hank and Sam covered that very well. 

I just try to offer people useful information, presented in a manor they can use without killing 3 hours to do a half-hour project.  Some will use them, and just say thanks.  Some will use them, not say thanks, and almost expect more.  Some will refuse to use them.  Whatever -- each his own.

As for any comments, past or future, from me - again, I'm just simple. I make comments with little regard to where I am. Cards are on the table -- I do not say anything about someone that I wouldn't say to that someone, and anything I say can be freely repeated when and where anyone sees fit.  All I ask is that people repeat what I actually said... ( not some skewed perception based on their own tendencies or lack of them).

I now return you to the original question :

So, seriously -- those who just want to bicker and argue, please do it elsewhere.  Otherwise, DO tell me where the video is that ACTUALLY DOES show me how to design / make a holster.  I know about the one Sam Andrews made (which I applaud).  Is he still the only one?

This post still intrigues, as you stated it's a good question, and not one that folks can say, just google it as it's been beaten to death.  I agree with furthering the craft and feel blessed this site exists (probably 'bout time i turn my name to blue) and for all the folks that contribute their experience, advice, and support for the beginner up to the master craftsman.   I also appreciate the other skill-sets that are kindred to leather craft and the craftsmen that do the same, machine stitching, metal working, and probably most recently 3d printing and laser machines, wholda' thunk it?  

I’m in agreement with Wayne and glamb here. I’ve been doing leather for only two years and not full time. When I first came to this site I had a few questions. Out of all the top contributors and ones that comment all the time, Jeff was the only one that reached out to make sure I was doing the steps correctly and didn’t ask for one cent! Still hasn’t. I didn’t know if I’d like to do this for fun, side money, or what. He sent little scraps of different leathers to try and see what I liked. I don’t recall seeing many folks just givin stuff away to complete strangers just to further the craft. Jeff has given more patterns away than anyone would really know. In a world where everyone thinks they should be paid just to give advice, Jeff still offers FREE advice. To the beginner that’s a tremendous help. Especially when he or she is trying to build up a tool collection, as we all know this craft is expensive. It’s easy to get mad at a guy when he’s giving information away for free and you’re charging for it. Just my 2 cents worth. 

57 minutes ago, Clintock said:

He sent little scraps of different leathers to try and see what I liked.

I forgot about that actually.  But today I sent you a small package for you 'n' that other one.

Again .. not necessary fellas.  Like 5 times (somebody correct me ifn it was 6) I tried to gather a list of worthwhile videos so that folks could maybe skip endless hours repeating searches that other folks already did.  In fact, really not necessary to mention me at all. It's about the leather.   Just like that list we made of people who make those "maker mark" stamps.  That went fairly smoothly.  This could too --- all that's required is either add to the conversation, or leave it alone.