Thanks guys.

Well the good news is that I've managed to be pretty judicious in my neatsfoot oil usage so far (the stuff scares me a little - seems like a disaster waiting to happen), so I should be well placed to follow the rest of your suggestions. Aside from removing excess color, does the buffing soften the leather at all? Do you buff both grain and flesh sides? So you use Aussie to finish, are you not also using something like a Super Shene? Next time I'll apply my Aussie before my Super Shene. 

7 hours ago, strathmoredesigns said:

Thanks guys.

Well the good news is that I've managed to be pretty judicious in my neatsfoot oil usage so far (the stuff scares me a little - seems like a disaster waiting to happen), so I should be well placed to follow the rest of your suggestions. Aside from removing excess color, does the buffing soften the leather at all? Do you buff both grain and flesh sides? So you use Aussie to finish, are you not also using something like a Super Shene? Next time I'll apply my Aussie before my Super Shene. 

I just use the Aussie. You can add super sheen after. Buffing is only going to remove any excess and make it shine a little. I only buff the flesh side if I have slicked it down. Otherwise it will cause more fluff.

Don't be too scared of the neatsfoot oil. You have to put quite a bit on there to overly saturate it. One of the holster makers, Andrews I think, slather on two coats with a dauber to sunbake his holsters. He is, however, sunbaking them for a day or two.

Yes, you can overdue it and ruin your project. I haven't yet. How much is too much? I'm not sure yet.

Edited by bikermutt07

I find it easier to put a light coat on and see how fast it soaks in. I always let it sit for a day but if it soaks in as I'm putting it on will go a little heavier. 

Also carnauba cream and leather balm with atom wax are good conditioner and finish. There are a few guys that swear by Dr. Jacksons hide rejuvenater all available at Tandy. 

Thanks for the tips. I left it alone yesterday after I put on the neatsfoot oil, so today I'll try buffing and the Aussie.

You can use a hair dryer  to liquefy the Aussie. Then buff off the excess. You will get dye transfer when doing it. Just keep buffing till you don't. If your arms not sore not buffing enough.