My workmate Dave lost the last coffee sleeve I gave him. So this time I made him one with his Royal Australian Artillery badge lasered into it.

I feel like I'm starting to get this laser thing dialled in!

I hope you like it.

Screenshot_2017-02-09-18-38-24.png

Hay mate

nice work

What size laser do you have and how deep can it cut

Lookin pretty good mate:rockon:

Thanks guys, I'm having fun with it :)

The laser is similar to this one

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/40W-CO2-LASER-ENGRAVING-MACHINE-COOLING-FAN-CUTTER-METAL-ENGRAVER-USB-PORT-/322283421826?hash=item4b0996c082%3Ag%3A-RYAAOSwImRYICCn&_trkparms=pageci%3A7af97536-ef11-11e6-b3c8-005056b03428%7Cparentrq%3A24d9474515a0a606360ed66bfffc8b2d%7Ciid%3A1

I'm still getting to grips and it, there is a bit of a learning curve trying to work it, and then trying to get it to do what you want it to do on different types of leather! I've wasted heaps of my offcuts, and some of the good stuff too.

But it cuts things like pigskin easy, and i have been using it to cut templates from MDF. Others have reported being able to cut up to 2.5mm veg tan, but i havent got that deep yet... I just get a lot of charring. Could easily be operator error though!

Setting up was interesting. Took me a couple of hours to line the mirrors up right. And you water cool it, so need a bucket with demineralised water in it to pump through the laser (pump is included in the kit), which means setting up an area where that doesnt present a safety hazard is essential. All the plugs are not Australian either... though they did come with adapters. Lol

But because the plugs aren't australian, it has an Earth wire... i just tied that into a power plug and put it in a socket rather than doing a ground spike like the instructuons suggest... literally ram a steel rod into the ground and run the earth wire to it...

So yeah, trucky to set up for a novice like me, but youtube and google came to the rescue for most of it.

1 hour ago, Tugadude said:

Very cool!  He better not lose this one!

Haha, damn straight! He'll have to pay for the next one =P

Nice work Wedgetail.  I too have been experimenting with a laser on leather. I wont hijack this thread talking about it, but lets chat sometime and swap experiences.

On Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 11:53 AM, jkittle99 said:

Nice work Wedgetail.  I too have been experimenting with a laser on leather. I wont hijack this thread talking about it, but lets chat sometime and swap experiences.

Sounds good mate!

@Wedgetail and @jkittle99 have either of you used your lasers to cut and if so, are you still burnishing the edges? I just cut some 2 ounce veg tan bookmarks yesterday and the edges are so clean looking, I'm wondering if I need to burnish them.

I'm one of many waiting on the www.glowforge.com laser cutter. It's the first time I've ever done any crowdfunding purchase, and will definitely be my last. A lot of very long delays on delivery. 

Anyway, I'm interested in what laser techniques are working and which ones aren't. Can't wait to try it out!

On Monday, February 27, 2017 at 0:40 AM, strathmoredesigns said:

@Wedgetail and @jkittle99 have either of you used your lasers to cut and if so, are you still burnishing the edges? I just cut some 2 ounce veg tan bookmarks yesterday and the edges are so clean looking, I'm wondering if I need to burnish them.

Hey mate,

I'd say if it looks like it doesn't need burnishing, don't worry about it :)

But at that thickness it is pretty hard to burnish anyway... if you wanted, you could just give it a quick run over with some gumtragacanth or similar, lay the item flat on your benchtop, and rub it with some canvas or denim offcuts. Doing that would also help remove any scorching or residue left on the leather after cutting.

I haven't cut many leather things myself. Just some pigskin really. Usually I just use my laser to cut out timber templates for cutting leather parts.