Thor

The Old Cowboy

This is my contribution to the Prescot Leather Carving Contest this month. Just wrapped and gone into the mail.

16602526_182192175599058_772837651293103

That is spectacular. Coloring and shading is flawless. You really captured the textures of the different materials.

The denim looks like denim. The suede coat, the hard worked gloves, and the old soft felt hat look completely real.

Thanks for sharing.

Looks fantastic.  I'm not even sure how you accomplished some of that coloring, especially the denim shirt and some of the highlights. Only thing I would have liked to see was a bit of shading on the underside of his (his left side) hat.  I am still in awe though, Amazing.

Nice

Wow! That is very beautiful work. Amazing for sure.

Great work, best of luck in the competition, let us know how you get on 

Wow, my favorite part is the glove. 

That is awesome!!! Nice work and detail.

Okay, seriously -- I love it.  AT THE RISK of being the jerk who added something less "positive" sounding (though it's intended to be helpful) --- I wonder if teh whites of the eyes aren't a bit bright for the rest of the pic.  Lemme guess... that part is acrylic?

STILL.. the coloring is fantastic -- I'm with Monica.. those aged and work-worn gloves nailed it!  And I know that black background is no walk in the park, neither!  WELL DONE.

Some of the talent people have really does seem to step out of the realm of skill and right in the realm of magic. 

Thank you all :) Glad if you like it.

18 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

That is spectacular. Coloring and shading is flawless. You really captured the textures of the different materials.

The denim looks like denim. The suede coat, the hard worked gloves, and the old soft felt hat look completely real.

Thanks for sharing.

Not really flawless, but I was able to make them less obvious. Guess that's part of the art.

17 hours ago, cjartist said:

Looks fantastic.  I'm not even sure how you accomplished some of that coloring, especially the denim shirt and some of the highlights. Only thing I would have liked to see was a bit of shading on the underside of his (his left side) hat.  I am still in awe though, Amazing.

Shading is a pita and matching colors with just dye is really not as easy as I have thought. I did have some great inputs during the making from some of the greatest artists there are including Peter Main whom I can't thank enough for his pointers and helping me overcome some painting fear. If you haven't bought his books yet, it's well worth it.

11 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Okay, seriously -- I love it.  AT THE RISK of being the jerk who added something less "positive" sounding (though it's intended to be helpful) --- I wonder if teh whites of the eyes aren't a bit bright for the rest of the pic.  Lemme guess... that part is acrylic?

STILL.. the coloring is fantastic -- I'm with Monica.. those aged and work-worn gloves nailed it!  And I know that black background is no walk in the park, neither!  WELL DONE.

LOL let's put it that way. If you don't complain and say you're loving it, that is already positive :P The eyes are acrylic and it is was the part I hated the most. Facial expressions are tough.

The glove was about the simplest part on this. There's a plug to have it stand out more. 

@immiketoo Thanks buddy. Same for you. Luckily not in the same group :) 

@kiwican Not really magic, just some great help, from great artists of our leather community/world. Upped the game in the last few weeks with some pointers and feedback by people like Mike, Tony, Peter, Maggie Cui and watching what others do and I do different or wrong.

My wife the art teacher is always saying "eyes are the hardest". 

19 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

My wife the art teacher is always saying "eyes are the hardest". 

They certainly are, at least for me. I'll get them nailed sooner or later though.

Good luck in the competition.

Another great example of the art of figure carving! Makes my hands itching to be tried on Tuco's face.

Though being awed by your and Mike's work, I'll need a beer first, or better two, in order to build up the necessary boldness!

21 hours ago, LederRudi said:

Another great example of the art of figure carving! Makes my hands itching to be tried on Tuco's face.

Though being awed by your and Mike's work, I'll need a beer first, or better two, in order to build up the necessary boldness!

Thanks Rudi. Just don't drink too many beer. Keep in mind they're not like the American beer-water stuff of which you could have 10 or 12 without feeling anything. 

I love the carving, but the the coloring is just fantastic. Truly a very impressive piece of work. Good luck in the competition. 

2 hours ago, taltexan said:

What happened to the picture? 

That's a good question. I don't have an answer to this. 

I'll just re-link it from my fb page.