maritimemoose

Seeking Quality Sponges, or new finish application technique.

Many years ago I had a good supply of nice sponges from tandy's, they lasted forever with spirit dyes without crumbling, they applied finish beautifully, but like many good things, whomever made them changed it, and now I can't seem to find a good sponge in this world.

I'm not too worried about using crappy sponges to apply dyes, but for applying my finish I would appreciate any advice on finish application techniques or sponge recommendation. My finish application has suffered since I ran out of those coveted sponges.

Cheers!

Well, I can tell you don't bother with the "synthetic" wool applicators they sell. I'm still looking for the best thing for finish application, it's probably the real wool patches, but I don't have any spare wool laying around, as I don't do saddles. They sell the real stuff at Tandy, but it's pricey for what you get. 

Now, as far as edge finish, I've recently switched to the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Wow, effortless with no runs, hits or errors! I just dab it into the finish, and it wicks up plenty of liquid into the porous sponge, and only releases it evenly without dripping at all. The edge is perfect. I saw it on an Asian youtube channel and if it was anywhere at easy as it looked, it was worth a try. It's even better than it looked.

19 minutes ago, alpha2 said:

Well, I can tell you don't bother with the "synthetic" wool applicators they sell. I'm still looking for the best thing for finish application, it's probably the real wool patches, but I don't have any spare wool laying around, as I don't do saddles. They sell the real stuff at Tandy, but it's pricey for what you get. 

Now, as far as edge finish, I've recently switched to the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Wow, effortless with no runs, hits or errors! I just dab it into the finish, and it wicks up plenty of liquid into the porous sponge, and only releases it evenly without dripping at all. The edge is perfect. I saw it on an Asian youtube channel and if it was anywhere at easy as it looked, it was worth a try. It's even better than it looked.

I always had bad luck with wool daubers or wool scraps as the fuzzies get all over the damn place.

I found a place selling high density sponges like the ones at Tandy for .49 each. Problem is minimum order of 200.

51 minutes ago, Mattsbagger said:

I found a place selling high density sponges like the ones at Tandy for .49 each. Problem is minimum order of 200.

Thanks, although with an order like that it's all or nothing lol!  I don't like tandys current ones, they changed from the ones they had 4-5 years ago and fall apart.

51 minutes ago, Mattsbagger said:

Thanks, although with an order like that it's all or nothing lol!  I don't like tandys current ones, they changed from the ones they had 4-5 years ago and fall apart.

Are talking about the very dense orange I think is the color of sponges that tandy sells?  The one that they currently sell is very good and if they had a better one then it must have been great!

12 minutes ago, OLDNSLOW said:

Are talking about the very dense orange I think is the color of sponges that tandy sells?  The one that they currently sell is very good and if they had a better one then it must have been great!

That's what I wastuck thinking!

35 minutes ago, Mattsbagger said:

That's what I wastuck thinking!

Maybe I had a crap batch,I'll try em again, but they've always crumbled under spirit dyes for me, and crumble after a few applications of resolene.

I think I'll try the method of using clean scrap rags wrapped around a sponge

I've been using a orange tandy one for 5 months. 1 sponge per dye color. They ain't orange anymore but work as good as day I got them.

I have three, two of them have had so many different colors running through them it's unbelievable and these are the spirit dyes cause in reality that all of what is in all the dyes.  There has been no degradation of the sponges, the third is for resolene and no problems with it either, after use they all get a good get a good rinsing with liquid hand or dish soap and very hot water and no problem.  Now the cheap ones ya get at the grocery store fall apart liggidy split.