IvoryCreek

How to avoid leaving pressure foot marks on Veg Tan Leather?

Hi there,

I have a Sailrite flatbed LSZ-1 heavy-duty sewing machine that I've been playing with and even with the leather pressure foot  I'm seeing marks left on my veg tan leather :(

I've tried playing with the pressure foot force with the tension thumb screw up top but it's still leaving marks.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

I probably shouldn't even chime in here because I have no experience on the issue.  But I did see a video where someone used newspaper between the leather and the feed dog to reduce marking.  Then after sewing you can simple rip the newspaper away.  Might be worth a try.

Some people get an extra set of feet and then sand the teeth down to an almost smooth finish.  This will reduce the mark some leather will mark with any pressure. .  You could also try wax paper rather than newspaper. 

Thanks! I have some wax paper I will try today or tomorrow :) (haven't touched a newspaper in a while...)

I have a piece of leather that started as 2 oz that I ran through my skiver.  It is now really really thin. If I need to, I just keep that under the foot as its moving. I just keep pulling it along.  I find as long as my leather is really dry, I dont get feet tracks. (cobra class 4)

I would grind down the bottom of the foot. I did this a couple years ago on my leather machines and have no issues with marks. I manufacture wallets, so it was necessity. These feet are resilient. I've modded feet many times, and they only seem to work better after I do. Go for it!

Thank you all! I ended up grinding down my walking foot and added a piece of leather underneath it. The difference is so obvious! Now I just need more practice feeding with it :)

I'm happy to say problem solved! thanks again.