IvoryCreek

Howard Hot Stamping Systems

Hi there, has anyone used either the Howard M150 or the M45 on leather? I had some brass types made that I want to use to stamp some gold foil onto veg tan leather. After doing some research online (this forum is awesome truly), I found this guide to be very informative. I however cannot tell Howard's M150 apart from the M45 aside from that the M150 has a foil feed. Insights are much appreciated as always :)

a side question, if i don't heat up those stamps, is it as good as a regular arbor press or clicker (is this just a flat press instead of a post press?), or will those hot stamp systems won't have enough force to leave a good embossing?

another side question...i read about die-cutting, seems like it will increase yield quite a bit if I choose to start selling on Etsy etc. where do I get dies made and I'd have to use a clicker then?

Thanks a million and happy weekend!

Clicker dies are quite expensive. There are quite a few makers out there. Look at the top of the main page there is a link to Texas dies. You CAN use a mallet DEPENDING on the size of leather and the die. Most dies are made from your drawings. 

Like his value added statement not sure those two go hand in hand 

How does imprinting add value?

• Adds extra dollars to existing sales
  • Additional markup is pure profit
  • Encourages purchase of more items per visit
  • Attracts new customers
  • Boosts impulse purchases
  • Makes any item non-returnable
  • Increases repeat customers
  • Advertises itself

very great points :) 

I ended up getting a cheap 1 ton arbor press to start. purchased a set of brass stamps and a set of plates to attach onto the ram.

I've got a heat gun too so i'm planning on just heating the stamp, put it in place, then press! hope that'll work.

btw, where should i source some good quality gold foil? i got some from amazon and they are pretty terrible...adhesion is quite poor and the stamped regions don't have clean lines (flaky).

Thanks!