Diyer

ADLER 205/370 RENOVATION

Having got my machine completely apart last week, and the alterations done to the stand, I spent the weekend painting said stand parts. I realized it was a lot easier to put the stand back together upside down. I have cut down the main table top as it was too long. This meant a tight fit for the Ho Hsing motor, gubbins tray, and start switch. Again, rather than fit the motor after putting the head back on, I thought it would be much easier to do the job with the stand upside down. This proved to be the case.

Then came the job of getting the head back on the table- all 65 kg of it, on my own. I have a little helper in the shape of a small manually operated fork truck, which I bought for moving 40kg sacks of fertilizer. See photos.In order to do the job safely, there has to be something to support the cylinder arm whilst moving the base and getting the bolts in.

Having the Efka means I can just bolt on the Ho Hsing parts to the flywheel without having to make any brackets- everything fits. And works, too.

There is oil EVERYWHERE! Most of it came from the air operated foot lift and reverse.

Next weeks task is doing the head cleaning. While the machine was running, I checked to see if I had forward and reverse stitch holes in the same place- no such luck. Also there is SOME  play in both the needle bar and inner presser foot bar-particularly in the fore and aft direction.College sewing have the needle bar listed, so presumably that is a frequent replacement item.

100_4991.JPG

100_4992.JPG

Looking good! Love that lift cart, too - I need one of those. That's a very nice table setup, actually. 

Uwe, the lift cart is made in China, so you might find an importer in the USA.It has a weight limit of 80kg, but there are others with higher weight limits. There are much older versions about, as a lot of old Uk Midlands workshops were too small or awkward to get a fork truck in. A great backsaver!!

I actually have one of the Harbor Freight hydraulic lift tables,which is super useful in many situations and it's great for moving heavy table-top machines like the Landis 16 or the Puritan from the storage shelf to the work surface. But that table actually weighs 190 lbs all by itself, so getting it in and out of my car for pickups and deliveries is a no-go. Also, the lowest it will go is about 11 inches off the ground.

image_20707.jpg

I'd love to have something compact and portable with lift arms that I can use with a sling to lift one of my 200+ pounds long arm beasts into and out of a table safely by myself. I also have a big manual pallet stacker, but that thing is way too big and will never make it inside the house. 

Here in Portugal, the answer to a lot of lifting problems is lots of people!

I once had a delivery of an agricultural attachment for my tractor arrive on a lorry that did not have either a tail lift, or a small 3 wheel fork truck. Fortunately my neighbour has a fork truck, so it was offloaded in his yard, then transferred up my driveway with a tractor and pallet lift attachment. This is the same neighbour and employees that helped get my sewing machine onto the trailer last week.

I really appreciate having good neighbours!!