Prusty

Brogue bracelet/cuff

Trying to do modern leatherwork again to take a break from reenactment. I had the idea for these about 3 years ago, but the design wasn't all there and I didn't have the skills to make them how I wanted, so they've sat in the back of my mind for a long time!

They're made of 2 layers of 'economy' 1-1.5mm veg-tan and lined with .8mm calfskin, and are stitched using 18/3 linen thread. I don't know if its the size of thread, the chisel tool, or the tool making them, but the saddle stitch isn't sitting quite how I want it, so I tried using a running stitch on the blue one. Going to have to come back to these when I have some nicer leather and tools. Any feedback and criticism is appreciated!

16602478_1841284466149953_7186101241741433128_o.jpg

16665609_1841284462816620_1121923066512897759_o.jpg

That is a really neat idea and well done.  What kind of leather dye did you use?

YinTx

Superb execution. Your edges look fantastic.

11 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Superb execution. Your edges look fantastic.

I agree.  Do you use a dremel or do it by hand? 

They look great...I agree about the edges. For an "economy" leather, the color of the dye looks great and very even.

Super nice job with the pattern!  

On 14 February 2017 at 1:00 AM, YinTx said:

That is a really neat idea and well done.  What kind of leather dye did you use?

YinTx

The dye is from The Identity Store, it's their own brand of water based stain. It doesn't penetrate through the leather really, but it does bring out some great colours, and is easy to water down to get varying shades. Used for reenactment stuff for a couple of years and grew to love it.

20 hours ago, VTleather09 said:

I agree.  Do you use a dremel or do it by hand? 

A bit of both. Experimented a bit on these so there's a combination of hand and motor burnishing. Used a Armitage Leather spool burnisher for the flats, then sanded it down lightly with some 800 grit sandpaper, beveled the top edges and went at it with some canvas. After that applied some dye, quick polish, and a final coat of burnishing gum, although given how much this leather wants to rough up(really fleshy and soft) I may use beeswax instead next time.

On 2/15/2017 at 5:24 AM, Prusty said:

The dye is from The Identity Store, it's their own brand of water based stain. It doesn't penetrate through the leather really, but it does bring out some great colours, and is easy to water down to get varying shades. Used for reenactment stuff for a couple of years and grew to love it.

A bit of both. Experimented a bit on these so there's a combination of hand and motor burnishing. Used a Armitage Leather spool burnisher for the flats, then sanded it down lightly with some 800 grit sandpaper, beveled the top edges and went at it with some canvas. After that applied some dye, quick polish, and a final coat of burnishing gum, although given how much this leather wants to rough up(really fleshy and soft) I may use beeswax instead next time.

Wow!  Now I see why the edges are so well done.  I just made a burnisher for my dremel and it saves some time...great work!