Wulfing

Stitching pliers thoughts?

I have a pair or two.  The good part is that they make consistent holes quietly, are pretty sharp, and don't require much effort.

The disadvantage is you need to position them very carefully... on *both* sides.  You may be lined up perfectly on the front only to find that the back moved 1/8"  above your stitch line.  If you have a stitching pony to hold your pieces vertical that may make checking both sides easier.  The other (minor) disadvantage is that these create a hole but you still may need to use an awl or push the needles harder, because where the tips touch in the center of your layers might not fully pierce.

The best I could figure out was to poke a hole at the beginning/end of a straight line, then scoot the leather over the edge of the table, insert two needles in the holes, and pull the leather back just until the needles just touch the table on the bottom, then put a weight on the leather.  Now you can butt thr bottom plier jaw up to the table while you align the top and be somewhat sure it's in place.

If these made 6-10 holes it would be more worth it to me, but for 4 holes (3 new holes if you re-use a hole), it can get old if you're doing a tote or something.  A stitch marking wheel and awl is quieter, but takes more practice.

Edited by johnv474

I had two pairs of these ~ one with four teeth and one with two teeth.

I binned [trashed/tossed] the two-teeth one as the teeth weren't hardened and just bent as they bit into the leather [ 1.2mm / 3oz approx] I've bought a second four-teeth pair and intend to reduce it to a two-teeth one

Handy and quick to use once you get used to them, and as advised above keep your awl handy as sometimes the teeth dont punch all the way through

On 3/5/2017 at 6:36 AM, thePassenger said:

Curious to find out what your experiences will be.

I also am in the same situation and ordered 2 but mine were quite a bit more expensive.

Thought I'd let you know my stitching pliers arrived. I cant believe how easy they are to use! Every hole is perfect allowing the needle to go through easily and you dont even have to squeeze the pliers hard. Really happy with this equipment as making the holes is a nightmare with a stitching wheel and awl. 

Prob only negative is they are no good if you need stitch holes that are not on the edge. Also tricky to line up, you have to be very careful or the holes on the back wont be in the right place!

1 minute ago, Wulfing said:

Thought I'd let you know my stitching pliers arrived. I cant believe how easy they are to use! Every hole is perfect allowing the needle to go through easily and you dont even have to squeeze the pliers hard. Really happy with this equipment as making the holes is a nightmare with a stitching wheel and awl. 

Prob only negative is they are no good if you need stitch holes that are not on the edge. Also tricky to line up, you have to be very careful or the holes on the back wont be in the right place!

Thank you for your review! I am checking delivery every day for mine... but still "underway" as of 3 minutes ago.

Just curious, what kind of leather (thickness) do you use? what kind of needles/thread?

Those look like the Tandy pliers.  They do work, the Goods Japan ones are a lot better quality.

8 hours ago, thePassenger said:

Thank you for your review! I am checking delivery every day for mine... but still "underway" as of 3 minutes ago.

Just curious, what kind of leather (thickness) do you use? what kind of needles/thread?

I've tested it on 3.5mm vegtan full grain and 2mm horween dublin so far. o2 saddlers harness needle. and waxed tiger thread tigre 25 - 1mm braided

3 hours ago, Wulfing said:

I've tested it on 3.5mm vegtan full grain and 2mm horween dublin so far. o2 saddlers harness needle. and waxed tiger thread tigre 25 - 1mm braided

Thanks! that sounds like my set-up :)

7 hours ago, electrathon said:

Those look like the Tandy pliers.  They do work, the Goods Japan ones are a lot better quality.

I ordered the Kyushin Elle nippers. Will comment once i get them.

So here's a question about Goods Japan. Does anybody have any idea of how long it takes them to restock items? I've been waiting since the beginning of the month for them to restock a particular beveler and some pricking irons, but no dice. I've poked around their ebay store too and noticed that their actual stock levels of a lot of items are relatively low. 

Diggin up this old thread. 

I ordered a couple of those, sometimes on the sides of bags and gussets it's easier to make the holes as a last step, and I can't easily reach with normal chisels.  Also sometimes with multiple layers I struggle to come out the other side completely vertically, I'm thinking this might help as I can check where I am on both sides before going through.  The also happen to match the shape and size of some other chisels I have so I can use them only in those areas that they're needed and the overall stitching will look consistent.

I got them from leathermob in Hong Kong (Etsy).  I looks like prices have gone up lately though.