DrkHorse

Hello from Alabama

Hello from Alabama. I’m very new to leather working. I’ve been doing this since I got into muzzleloading a year ago when I built a Kentucky Long Rifle from a kit. Once you do that you realize you need a powder horn and a shooting bag, then a tool pouch and a ball bag, so on and so on. My shooting bag was made from a kit but I added a few things like trim and a different strap. I’m in the process of making another shooting bag from scratch, that is to say I made the templates and cut the pieces from milled 5-6 oz  shoulder leather.

Leather kits are fine but once you start working from raw materials leather staining and conditioning become apparent, then you realize how deep the water is you just jumped into. I hope to learn a lot from the folks on this forum so I’m sure there’ll be dumb questions in our future, just bear with me. Thanks for approving my registration request.

-Gary- 

Shooting Bag Front.jpg

Shooting Bag Back.jpg

I added a few more pix of my tool pouch.

tp2.jpg

ball bag 3a.jpg

tp 1.jpg

Edited by DrkHorse
Added pix

Welcome to the forum!  I'm in middle Tennessee.  Nice start to a frontiersman's kit!

Thanks MikeG. All of my work is very rustic and meant to reflect what our frontiersman would do, with the exception of my ball bag. My powderhorn is meant to be a "hunter's" horn, not a horn a wealthy merchant would own. 

Edited by DrkHorse

It all looks great. We used to do rendezvous when I was a kid. It was a lot of fun.

Thanks bikermutt07

@DrkHorseVery cool. I like this intentional rustic look. Our frontiersmen would be proud.  

Thanks LeatherBeast :)

Welcome to the forum from another Alabamian. If there's anything I can do to help you just shout out!

Keith

Hey Keith. thanks.

Hi Clintock, thanks.