So I've been making straps with names painted on them in acrylic paint. The straps are 10oz Herman oak leather. I started to use 100% neatfoot on the backside only to soften the leather up after dying about a month ago. Now I'm fining that some of them are having the paint on the frontside falling off. Even after I seal them with multiple acrylic sealers. I also am finding the dye is leeching off too. Any suggestions on what else to use to soften the leather up besides a oil bc I think that is the problem bc I have never had this problem before using the neatsfoot 

I would venture a guess that you waited too long. If you dyed it a month ago, it can be that it´s hardened a coating that the paint cannot stick to properly.

I would suggest you make new straps and both color, seal and oil them on the same day. Some straps i have made and just waited to the next day have felt too stiff to do proper work with, but not always. Now i always do the coloration and oil applying etc on the same day to make sure everything is sealed in and on the same layer so to say.

2 hours ago, Grihm said:

I would venture a guess that you waited too long. If you dyed it a month ago, it can be that it´s hardened a coating that the paint cannot stick to properly.

I would suggest you make new straps and both color, seal and oil them on the same day. Some straps i have made and just waited to the next day have felt too stiff to do proper work with, but not always. Now i always do the coloration and oil applying etc on the same day to make sure everything is sealed in and on the same layer so to say.

Sorry I guess I should of worded that a little better. I def agree to do it all within a day or two but What I meant was that I dyed and oiled and painted them about a month ago and now a month later the paint is peeling off. But I actually think I figured it out. I just put to much oil on them! I guess more isn't better in that situation! I have been using less and the results have been much better. I am starting to look at English bridle leather now to use now but the only thing I'm not sure about is how the paint will adhere to it. Got any advice on that!?

20 hours ago, Barkster39 said:

Sorry I guess I should of worded that a little better. I def agree to do it all within a day or two but What I meant was that I dyed and oiled and painted them about a month ago and now a month later the paint is peeling off. But I actually think I figured it out. I just put to much oil on them! I guess more isn't better in that situation! I have been using less and the results have been much better. I am starting to look at English bridle leather now to use now but the only thing I'm not sure about is how the paint will adhere to it. Got any advice on that!?

Awesome to hear you found a solution =)

The best tip i can give is, always use vegetable tanned leather and stay far away from chrome tanned. Use as clean leather as you possibly can.
Bridle leather is already "done" when you get it, so it´s basically already sealed so to say, meaning the color would not be something i recommend to add afterwards.

A link to read about bridal leather -

http://www.equusleather.co.uk/our-leathers/what-is-bridle-leather/

I would say go for raw vegetable tanned leather and do all the process yourself. The bridle leather i use is used as it is for belts etc, but i do stamp initials in it with stamp tools, and if careful enough, it works perfectly.

Here is a picture of a product i handed to the customer today where i placed a leather sleave with name + phonenumber on, and the leather is bridle leather or as we call it here, basically " anonited belt leather ".

20170312_101809.jpg

Awesome work! Yea I was thinking about the bridle leather to just try and cut some corners. I usually do all the dyeing and sealing myself. Here Is some of what I usually do. They are firefighter radio straps. 

IMG_1869.JPG

On 3/12/2017 at 9:36 PM, Barkster39 said:

Awesome work! Yea I was thinking about the bridle leather to just try and cut some corners. I usually do all the dyeing and sealing myself. Here Is some of what I usually do. They are firefighter radio straps. 

IMG_1869.JPG

Hello, im just getting into leather work, and im a fireman. I was wanting to make some personal items like this eventually when i start getting good at it. I know EVERYTHING we have is "rated" for fire. Do you have any advise on materials that would be best to use for the radio strap. Like brass vs. Steel. Or the type and oz of leather used? Any advise is appreciated!!