Hello!

I just got a Singer 31-15. The man who used it before me used it very well and it is in great condition! I changed out the belt and everything runs smoothly except for one thing. The straight stitches come out slightly slanted all uniformly. They're not all straight but in a weird diagonal line and I'm not sure why. It doesn't matter what fabric I use it always comes out this way. Does anyone know how I can fix this? The image I attached shows the problem. I'm using a #69 nylon thread with a 100/16 leather needle on some thin leather. Thank you!

image.jpg

That's a natural result of using LR type leather needles, and an effect some people spend a lot of effort to replicate. To increase or decrease this effect you can try turning your needle to a slightly different angle, but you will soon run into issues with the hook (either not picking up the loop or crashing the needle). You might have better luck with a different needle point style. I like the angled effect so I only have experience of LR (slanted sharp for leather) and R (round and bluntish for canvas) needle points.

Oh that makes so much sense! Can you recommend me a kind of needle that will give me a straight stitch? Thank you!

4 hours ago, Foobee said:

Oh that makes so much sense! Can you recommend me a kind of needle that will give me a straight stitch? Thank you!

Sorry I have no first hand experience of other types of leather needles. Schmetz has a comprehensive guide on their website but I don't know what styles are available on your needle system.

Foobee,

I believe the 31-15 uses 16x257 system needles.

Schmetz SDI or Tri tip needle points will give you a straight stitch.  Gros-Beckert is SD point

There are other points that will also give a straight stitch but are more suitable for heavy/hard leathers and longer stitch lengths.

Should have noted that system 16x257 is for sizes 9-18.

System 16x95 is used for needle sizes 19-23.

Both are exactly the same system.

I sew by hand and was thinking Wow that's an awesome looking stitch from a machine, why would you want to change it???

2 hours ago, Bigfoote said:

I sew by hand and was thinking Wow that's an awesome looking stitch from a machine, why would you want to change it???

Agree with Bigfoote, but to each his own.  The slanted stitch looks like a traditional saddle stitch, I'd be proud of it.

My recommendation would be calling CH Holderby in Seattle and asking them. They know everything about sewing machines, needles, etc. I'm fortunate to live very close to it. 

Just be careful. They will chat your ear off and you may loose an hour. But you will learn a lot. I'd recommend getting the type of needle you need and find another source that has them. Ordering on a phone is just - outdated - and super slow. 

On 2/15/2017 at 8:24 PM, Tugadude said:

Agree with Bigfoote, but to each his own.  The slanted stitch looks like a traditional saddle stitch, I'd be proud of it.

Ditto.lol

Thank you all so much! Also while you guys are here, I tried to change my foot to a roller foot but the feed dog goes in slightly when I tried to put the single row feed dog in so it gets stuck undert the plate. Does anybody know tips on how to correctly put in a roller foot? Thank you so much!

I use 794s in my juki 441.The reason for the LR needle is that the slanted perforations make for a sturdier stitch line than if the perf.are all in a straight line.I use the 794s because it has the eye appeal that I like.It takes more force to tear the LR than the S.All that being said I haven't had any kickbacks on the S stitch.This is my first post so I hope this explains the slanted stitch

On 2/15/2017 at 3:16 PM, billybopp said:

Maybe this will be helpful ....

Groz-Beckert_Needles_for_the_processing_of_leather.pdf

Five years later...........Wow, this is a super helpful doc.  Thank you,  BillyBopp.