GregHoppe

Starting out

Hi I'm trying to get started out into the leatherworking hobby. My goal is to be able to make leather bags for my friends and family, but I'm having trouble figurin out where to start because I want to try and find small projects where I can build my tool collection for building bags. I can't seem to find a good set of projects that would allow me to learn the necessary skills to work up to the bag. 

I would love some help locating some good projects because I get lost sifting through all my research in afraid to miss something before I start. 

I'd say you couldn't go far wrong getting some of the Al Stohlman books. 

There are books which have small projects in them, books on how to stitch, how to lace and many more. Al's books are well written, full of illustrations and guidance on how and why to do things. They are available through Tandy stores and also from on-line book sellers.

2 hours ago, GregHoppe said:

Hi I'm trying to get started out into the leatherworking hobby. My goal is to be able to make leather bags for my friends and family, but I'm having trouble figurin out where to start because I want to try and find small projects where I can build my tool collection for building bags. I can't seem to find a good set of projects that would allow me to learn the necessary skills to work up to the bag. 

I would love some help locating some good projects because I get lost sifting through all my research in afraid to miss something before I start. 

Maybe this book will work for you:
https://www.amazon.com/Leatherwork-Manual-Al-Stohlman/dp/B000HM96YW

First published in the 60s, it's basically a leatherwork "course," with pretty basic instructions to the basic tools, heavily illustrated with drawings and black and white photographs.
Here are the chapters:

• leather (overview of what it is)
  • preparing the leather for tooling and transferring the design
  • the swivel knife
  • the basics of using standard "floral" style tools (camouflage, pear shader, beveler, veiner, seeder, backgrounder)
  • leather fabrication (cutting, snaps, linings, thonging chisels, skiving, gouging)
  • structural assembly (6 types of lacing)
  • dying and finishing the leather.
  • three projects (key case, billfold, handbag)

However, it does NOT discuss stitching at all. It's not comprehensive, but it's the basic background. I found a copy at a used bookstore; the lacing directions alone were worth the 8 bucks I paid for it. 
I list it here because it's inexpensive and assumes that you don't know some of the basic info.

A more contemporary and highly recommended text is Val Michael's The Leatherworking Handbook.
<https://www.amazon.com/Leatherworking-Handbook-Illustrated-Sourcebook-Techniques/dp/1844034747/ref=pd_sbs_14_img_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=T3T2T5QJFXVTX3NX8XVQ>
Color photos and very high quality work -- it's a nice book, an updated version that covers much (and more, actually) of what Stohlman's old book does, with less "old-fashioned" design (and stitching information).

Where are you located?  Is there a Tandy or other company nearby?  If so, they often have classes.  Also, lots of good info in the forums for beginners.  The sub-forum is called 'Getting Started'.  Search and see what appeals to you.  And ask questions whether you think they are stupid or not.  I assure you they've been asked before!

Edited by Tugadude

Al stohlman books I suggest are

"The art of stitching"

"Leather tools, how to sharpen them how to use them"

These two books alone are pretty invaluable and retail for less than 30 bucks for both.

I highly suggest starting with bracelets. You can use veg tan bellies that are cheap. You will develop a lot of basic skills doing bracelets. You can practice cutting, casing, tooling, staining, antiqueing, stitching, snaps, rivets, eyelets, burnishing and finishing. 

And if you mess one up your out .75 worth of leather. Someone suggested not long ago to pick one thing and get good at it, then move on.

And then start working into the bags with small cases. 

Al Stohlman has has three volumes on cases.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, Tugadude said:

Where are you located?  Is there a Tandy or other company nearby?  If so, they often have classes.  Also, lots of good info in the forums for beginners.  The sub-forum is called 'Getting Started'.  Search and see what appeals to you.  And ask questions whether you think they are stupid or not.  I assure you they've been asked before!

I'm located in beaumont texas, but there is a couple tandy leather stores about an hour away. I'll have to make a trip over once I get some reading from the books done. Thank all of yall. Yalls help has really helped me start actually get started. 

Hello Beaumont, I'm in Groves. There used to be a Tandy in Beaumont on Calder, now the closest one is in Deer Park. If you need help with anything just holler.

I agree on the leather craft tools book from Al Stohlman, that itself opened my eyes a great deal. And for someone that used tools all my life I hadn't a clue of leather tools. Seriously this is in my mind is a no. 1 purchase, simply because references to other discussions and tools of similar style mentioned. The information listed with some black n white photos puts a, well ya know. (a picture is worth a thousand words)  Besides the fact walking around the often local garage or auction sale with a bit more eye for tools.

good day

Floyd

https://www.amazon.com/Leathercraft-Tools-Al-Stohlman/dp/1892214903/ref=pd_sim_14_3/163-2308048-2155661?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8GC1BXEKWEXH6XX9EEAN

Go to Tandy's site and you will find their video library at the bottom of the main page huge amount of info. Also find the library site you can get free patterns, cheap patterns, and all their books can be down loaded in pdf format and their cheap compared to store prices. Just set up an account and you're good to go.
You're on the best site I know of on leather work, a large number of posts and helping hands on here. A large number of the people on this site are some of the best leather crafters in the world in my opinion.

Edited by grumpyold

Al Stohlman's books are invaluable, especially the stitching book, however nothing beats a real life teacher. Unfortunately we don't all have the luxury of sufficient time, money or even availability of classes, instead however YouTube offers an excellent alternative.

There are hundreds of leather working videos on YouTube, of the ones I watched, I found Nigel Armitage https://www.youtube.com/user/Nordicbadger/videos  and  Ian Atkinson https://www.youtube.com/user/satansbarber/videos  the most helpful.
Both have made loads of videos, so it is only too easy to get distracted, so make sure to scroll through their videos to find the introductory ones.  I found Nigel's Saddle Stitch in Detail and Ian's Hand stitching leather particularly useful. Ian also has a Top 25 recommended tools video which is also very helpful.

Clive

I miss Deer Park. I had a great time living there.