Lokahi

Replacing copper anvil on Osborne 155 rotary punch

Pretty much just like the title says, I'm trying to replace the copper anvil on my Osborne 155.  I abuse this thing and I know I do, but I can't really help that with what I do.  So, the anvil is pretty gouged at this point and I need to replace it.  I have the replacement anvil already, but for the life of me I can't seem to get the old one out.  Anybody have any tips or experience with this?  It's (understandably) really well seated in there.

Vaguely related, I also need to replace my #3 tube but the old one seems really stuck in there, too.  Do I just need some penetrating oil and some vice grips?

Thanks in advance,

Lokahi

Have you contacted Osborne for advice? Check their Website. They might be able to help. I know that I can't give you any tips!

Do you have a picture of the bottom of it?

I believe the tubes unscrew. Not sure about the anvil though.

The anvils are a friction fit. Drill the stem from the bottom side and you can drive them out out easier. 

Thanks for the replies, guys.  I finally managed to get the anvil out last night with a solid pin punch and a heavy (metal) hammer, with the punch jaws clamped hard in a vise and (several, very hard) strikes.  The tube I had to use some WD-40, a butane torch, and a firm grip with some pliers, but it finally came loose too.  Guess this is what I get when I use the same tube and anvil to punch like, 8000+ holes in latigo and veg tan.

Now, of course...i set the new anvil in my punch crooked so it's not punching cleanly despite everything being new, and the rotating portion of the punch seems a little crooked/loose, too ...but that's a whole other bag of worms

I know this is an older post but in case someone has the same problem, this is what I do.  Use a metal file to flatten out the anvil's contour to properly mate with the tube.  I usually do that several times to extend the life of my anvil to keep it cutting properly.  

Edited by LawEnforcer