I'm in need of a Splitter,  (skiver).  My purpose for this is Belts.  I want to thin down hole straps and to skive the buckle ends. 

My options are an osborne #86 new for $450. A Weaver for $279. A cowboy for about the same as the Weaver.  Last I got an inquiry in with Bruce when he has something available. 

I'd like to get your thoughts on whether the osborne is that much better than the others  worthy of the price difference.  

I also realize that all blades need to be really sharp in order to work right. 

Thanks 

For lap skiving belts, I'm sure all three will do fine. But there is something to be said for getting the larger one. I was blessed to find the weaver heritage 8" splitter, similar to the osbourne 84. I don't think I would like not having the locking handle. It is really convenient. Once you have one, you find yourself turning to it all the time.

I suggest saving for the locking handle style. I found mine on Craigslist for $250 in excellent condition.

For what you are doing, the #86, a Chase pattern, or any of the locking handle will do the job. Had a little health hiccup and working on sharp blades with vertigo was not a good plan. Back after it now but I only have about half the splitters done I'd like to and packing for the Prescott show this weekend. I've got a lot in the works of #86s in various widths, Chase splitters in 8 and 10 inch widths, and maybe one locking handle splitter. They will have to be after the show now. Another 2 weeks and I should be good. 

11 hours ago, bruce johnson said:

For what you are doing, the #86, a Chase pattern, or any of the locking handle will do the job. Had a little health hiccup and working on sharp blades with vertigo was not a good plan. Back after it now but I only have about half the splitters done I'd like to and packing for the Prescott show this weekend. I've got a lot in the works of #86s in various widths, Chase splitters in 8 and 10 inch widths, and maybe one locking handle splitter. They will have to be after the show now. Another 2 weeks and I should be good. 

Thanks Bruce,  I have an email in to you showing my interest in an #86 or equivalent.  Hope to hear from you in a couple weeks.  

Thanks,  Shane