For my first project I made a holster for my Ruger Mark III using 6-7oz tooling leather. I learned a lot from this project and can't wait to keep going.

I dyed the outside with water based dye but left the inside alone because I didn't want the dye rubbing off on the gun. If someone has advice for how to treat the inside it would be greatly appreciated. Please leave comments - criticism is welcomed!

IMG_7955-4.JPG

IMG_7958.JPG

IMG_7960.JPG

You don't have to do anything with the inside. Some laminate so you have smooth leather inside and out. Some line with suede. All holsters will cause some wear eventually. Good job btw. Way better than my first go.

Looks good! I would personally be inclined to trim the edge closer to the stitch line and then give it a good burnish but that's all the comment I have. 

Thats pretty cool!  Only thing I'd note is do you have anything protecting the Ruger from the snap on the inside of the holster?

YinTx

Looks good. Agree with Sceaden cut tighter to your stitch line and even it out. Find Hidepounders  tech write up on finishing your edges it adds that final touch once their burnished.

If you want the inside smooth you can take gum trag to it and that will smooth out the leather and also act as a blocker when you go to dye the outside.

7 hours ago, YinTx said:

Thats pretty cool!  Only thing I'd note is do you have anything protecting the Ruger from the snap on the inside of the holster?

YinTx

I glued a piece of moleskin over it so it doesnt scratch the gun. If i see that wearing i'll have to come up with another solution. Any suggestions?

6 hours ago, grumpyold said:

Looks good. Agree with Sceaden cut tighter to your stitch line and even it out. Find Hidepounders  tech write up on finishing your edges it adds that final touch once their burnished.

Will do! Thanks for the advice.

1 hour ago, OLDNSLOW said:

If you want the inside smooth you can take gum trag to it and that will smooth out the leather and also act as a blocker when you go to dye the outside.

Thanks, i'll look into it.