Im unhappy with my Tandy brand (eco flo)  chemicals...the bottles come with a paper "seal" inside the caps, and it rapidly disintegrates leaving a leaky bottle, or one which dries up well before I can use the contents up.

Im looking at some Angelus brands, they have a very large selection of colors and what appears to be packaged in a glass bottle, its listed as a "dye" but appears to be a paint....

Im in California and several Fiebings items on the web state they cannot be shippped to the Golden State.

So...anyone have any practical experience with Angelus products?

I have a few bottles of the Angelus Leather Dyes, they seem for the most part to behave like the Fiebings dyes.  Here is a photo of a work in progress from this week, dyed with Angelus.  The leather is a Tandy veg tan leather, nothing fancy.

Applied with airbrush on the backside (flesh) of the leather, slicked with TanKote.  Applied with cotton ball on front (grain) side.  This was diluted as well with isopropyl alcohol.

YinTx

AngelusDye.jpg

The Angelus ones that Springfield sells that say in the description something to the effect of "the bottle says dye but it is actually regular leather paint", are actually acrylic paint.  I have a couple of colors and they work beautifully.  One coat is typically enough (except white) and dries quickly.  I've antiqued over them and you can sort of knock the color down that way for an aged look if you want, but you can also completely wipe any antique or stain right off with a damp sponge (right away is best though I've had luck getting it off after it sat for a couple of minutes) for vibrant color.  I imagine you're probably supposed to actually paint after staining or dying, but I wanted the antique effect over it so I probably did it backwards.

20170127_2143112.jpg

Thank you both for the replies, and YES the acrylic oaint/dyes are what Im most interested in, so yes I am going to try them. Thanks again

I have some of their paints and a couple of their dyes. I'm pretty new, but I've tried both of my Angelus dyes out on some Tandy strips. The colors are attractive (I have chocolate and light brown), but the light brown came out a bit darker than I expected. 

I haven't done much more with their paints yet other than just test them on some veg tan remnants, so far so good. The range of colors is quite extensive and considerably more attractive than the Eco-Flo line. I also have a couple of their Glitterlites Paints. Given that they're effectively some sort of suspension coating and little bits of glitter, I was quite impressed by how well and evenly they coated.

According to the Angelus website, the paints are acrylic based and the dyes are actually alcohol based. The smallest jars (1 oz for paint) are glass and have a little paint brush inside the top, while the smallest bottle (3 oz for dye) are plastic and come with a wool dauber. My one complaint about the packaging is that every time I try to pour a little bit of dye into another container it spills all down the side. I think it has something to do with the shape of the bottle lip. They seem to be aware of this problem as the box the dye comes in includes directions to use it to catch stray dye.

Regardless, I plan to get a funnel and another type of bottle that doesn't spill as much to transfer these into as I like to pour my dyes into a medicine cup when I'm applying them. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with them and have ordered a few more colors of both dyes and paints. I've done all of my ordering directly through Angelus' website as the prices are a little cheaper and their shipping (USPS) is pretty reasonable. Their one quirk is that the products can be damaged if they freeze and Angelus won't replace them/refund you if that happens. Probably not an issue for you in SoCal, but definitely something I need to plan for in Upstate New York in February. 

Also - in the event that you catch this post today, they're having a President's Day sale. 20% off on the Angelus site.

Edited by strathmoredesigns

51 minutes ago, strathmoredesigns said:

I have some of their paints and a couple of their dyes. I'm pretty new, but I've tried both of my Angelus dyes out on some Tandy strips. The colors are attractive (I have chocolate and light brown), but the light brown came out a bit darker than I expected. 

I haven't done much more with their paints yet other than just test them on some veg tan remnants, so far so good. The range of colors is quite extensive and considerably more attractive than the Eco-Flo line. I also have a couple of their Glitterlites Paints. Given that they're effectively some sort of suspension coating and little bits of glitter, I was quite impressed by how well and evenly they coated.

According to the Angelus website, the paints are acrylic based and the dyes are actually alcohol based. The smallest jars (1 oz for paint) are glass and have a little paint brush inside the top, while the smallest bottle (3 oz for dye) are plastic and come with a wool dauber. My one complaint about the packaging is that every time I try to pour a little bit of dye into another container it spills all down the side. I think it has something to do with the shape of the bottle lip. They seem to be aware of this problem as the box the dye comes in includes directions to use it to catch stray dye.

Regardless, I plan to get a funnel and another type of bottle that doesn't spill as much to transfer these into as I like to pour my dyes into a medicine cup when I'm applying them. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with them and have ordered a few more colors of both dyes and paints. I've done all of my ordering directly through Angelus' website as the prices are a little cheaper and their shipping (USPS) is pretty reasonable. Their one quirk is that the products can be damaged if they freeze and Angelus won't replace them/refund you if that happens. Probably not an issue for you in SoCal, but definitely something I need to plan for in Upstate New York in February. 

Also - in the event that you catch this post today, they're having a President's Day sale. 20% off on the Angelus site.

Great info amd Thanks for sharing it. 

(And NO freezing isnt an issue around these parts!)

For what it's worth, I have had luck with Amazon shipping Fiebing's Pro dyes to me directly, whereas I can't purchase them from Tandy because they can't sell them in California. Amazon must have a "work around" the laws. This may also work for Angelus.

I havent used the acrylics but have several colors in their solvent dyes. The colors are JUICY. I have been moving away from fiebings in my recent orders and have used fiebings for a couple of decades. Only caveat I can add with my experience is that the Jet Black from Angelus while indeed the blackest black I have ever used requires a fair bit of buffing after drying. Cut it in half to use it and it is still BLACK BLACK but you will be buffing heavy before sealer.

I don't have that issue with any of the other 5 colors I have and continue to use.