Sign in to follow this  
chamisa

leather bag/pouche mold

hi. i am pretty new in this forum and i hope i don't do anything wrong. otherwise please let me know. i am looking for molds to make leather pouches/bags. i found some on ebay, but they come from china and it takes for ever to get them. does anybody knows where i can buy these molds for a decent price? i can't make my own, because i am not able to do the wood work to make a mold. thanks for ideas :-) 

Edited by chamisa

You don't need to be a whiz at wood work to make your own molds.

Get some cuts of MDF [medium density fibreboard] from a DiY place and use a heavy duty knife [like a Stanley Utility knife] and rough sand paper to cut and shape, Then smoother sand paper to even out the curves. Then a few coats of quick drying varnish to seal it from the damp. You can shape up a block for a bag in about half-an-hour

MDF is available in thickness ranging from 1mm to 25mm so even if you can't find the excact thickness you want/need/like layers can be glued to gether to make it up. You can even glue thin shaped bits on to the main block to raise portions during the molding

11 hours ago, fredk said:

You don't need to be a whiz at wood work to make your own molds.

Get some cuts of MDF [medium density fibreboard] from a DiY place and use a heavy duty knife [like a Stanley Utility knife] and rough sand paper to cut and shape, Then smoother sand paper to even out the curves. Then a few coats of quick drying varnish to seal it from the damp. You can shape up a block for a bag in about half-an-hour

MDF is available in thickness ranging from 1mm to 25mm so even if you can't find the excact thickness you want/need/like layers can be glued to gether to make it up. You can even glue thin shaped bits on to the main block to raise portions during the molding

thank you so much :-) 

If you can draw up what you want your local machine shop should be able to make it for you.

I have a small CNC mill that I built that I make molds on.