My name is Emily,

I've been working with finished leather since I was 14 years old. I now have my own shop and am growing my business with equipment. I am looking for a clicker, preferably hydraulic between 10 and 15 tons. #1 Would I be better off buying a new one or buying used? #2 What is your recommend brand? #3 If buying used, where should I begin looking?

Thanks

Emily,

buying used is always the best when it works. I personally buy used 90% of the time. I only buy new when I cannot find it used. 

I purchased a clicker press from a gal on this forum about 6 months ago. I paid $1800 for a 15 ton machine. 

The deals are out there. You just have to know where to find them. Google everything you can think of. Look on eBay. Check sold listings. Email the seller and ask if they have another. The hustle will get you what you need at a good price. 

If you want to buy new and spend an extra $4-6k, then you could do that. But I don't recommend it!

12 hours ago, imstephenjones said:

Emily,

buying used is always the best when it works. I personally buy used 90% of the time. I only buy new when I cannot find it used. 

I purchased a clicker press from a gal on this forum about 6 months ago. I paid $1800 for a 15 ton machine. 

The deals are out there. You just have to know where to find them. Google everything you can think of. Look on eBay. Check sold listings. Email the seller and ask if they have another. The hustle will get you what you need at a good price. 

If you want to buy new and spend an extra $4-6k, then you could do that. But I don't recommend it!

Stephen,

Thanks for your post! Hearing that you bought one recently gives me hope that I can find one without paying an arm and a leg.  

What brand did you purchase and what do you think about it?

Emily

2 hours ago, BlackburnGoods said:

Stephen,

Thanks for your post! Hearing that you bought one recently gives me hope that I can find one without paying an arm and a leg.  

What brand did you purchase and what do you think about it?

Emily

You bet! I picked up a cobra 10 tons clicker.

http://www.zackwhite.com/Cobra-10-Ton-Clicker--COB10_p_5465.html

my bad on thinking it was a 15 ton. It's a great machine. I absolutely love it. 

I previously had the Tipmann 1500, which got the job done. But it isn't nearly as accurate as the Cobra machine. You had to do adjustments on the bottom of the machine (each corner had a set screw that adjusted the height for that area). It was a pain and I ended up selling that for $1500 and picking up the Cobra. 

I currently have a small flywheel clicker press on the Dallas Craigslist.  I'm four or so hours from Tulsa. It's listed with a riveting machine.

Good luck!

Mike

On February 18, 2017 at 10:49 PM, JeepishGrin said:

I currently have a small flywheel clicker press on the Dallas Craigslist.  I'm four or so hours from Tulsa. It's listed with a riveting machine.

Good luck!

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I checked out the add. What is the base size of the flywheel clicker?

On February 18, 2017 at 0:19 PM, imstephenjones said:

You bet! I picked up a cobra 10 tons clicker.

http://www.zackwhite.com/Cobra-10-Ton-Clicker--COB10_p_5465.html

my bad on thinking it was a 15 ton. It's a great machine. I absolutely love it. 

I previously had the Tipmann 1500, which got the job done. But it isn't nearly as accurate as the Cobra machine. You had to do adjustments on the bottom of the machine (each corner had a set screw that adjusted the height for that area). It was a pain and I ended up selling that for $1500 and picking up the Cobra. 

This is the kind of insight I was looking for!

I really like the Cobra equipment that I've had the opportunity to use. What is the maintenance on a hydraulic unit? What are some things you've learned in the the 6 months you've been using it? Like the nuances of nematic to hydraulic.

Emily

On 2/22/2017 at 7:08 PM, BlackburnGoods said:

This is the kind of insight I was looking for!

I really like the Cobra equipment that I've had the opportunity to use. What is the maintenance on a hydraulic unit? What are some things you've learned in the the 6 months you've been using it? Like the nuances of nematic to hydraulic.

Emily

Pneumatic was less powerful, even at a higher ton rating. Hydraulic has been amazing. I haven't had to do any maintenance. Hoping I won't, haha.