leathersmyth

Briefcase finished this week

Just finished off this week.

5/6 english bridle , solid brass hardware. Just have to stamp initials before sending off...

DSCF0149.jpg

DSCF0148.jpg

That looks truly impressive.  Would love to see more photos, maybe a higher resolution and/or up close so we can see some details?  backside? inside?  how does it open?  Awesome work!

YinTx

Impressive piece. I wouldn't even know where to start on that thing.

Real nice work

Thank you,

Will get a few more pictures...

And, I lay the hide out and start designing/cutting/sewing/building as i go...

love it!!!!!!

Fantastic work. Very clean. 

Wow! looks superb!

Thank you ! Here are a couple more pictures as asked...

The brass feet on edge, no one is making anymore so i turned them myself out of solid stock.

DSCF0156.jpg

DSCF0157.jpg

DSCF0158.jpg

nice!! theres ohio bag and travel here in usa. check them out for hardware. witsil leathers!

Thanks,

Been using them for parts for about 40 years...  They have not had those barrel feet for about 8 years,nor any other supplier that i have used. So only way to get was get 6 feet of solid brass stock, metal working tools and make up. In one way, a good thing because before there was only one size fits all. This way, i can make them to whatever the case is i am making up.

That's a nice bag , a couple of questions if you don't mind

how many hours do you think you have put in?

Interesting design where did you get your inspiration from ?

Regards Richard

Good question on hours....

If i have a design all ready made up and is one that have made in past ,I can make up a case in 5-6 hour depending how intricate it is.More things can take 10-15 hour to make up if lots of pockets etc. Someone sent me a picture of a briefcase and asked me if i could make up something like it. So to make up from scratch takes a lot longer to make as i go.

This one, had lots of other stuff going on with life so there were a lot of off and on times and never really took a look at time, more just to get it done.

Someone once sent me a picture of one from the 1930's and asked if i could make up. That one was about 50 hours of time to make up. But if i had to guess i would say took about 30/35 hours to make up .

That is gorgeous, a lot of attention and detail ..

Wow, awesome bag. 

Very impressive!

What did you do exactly with the handle attachment? Its looks like the dee rings are going through a rod covered with leather at the top.

The handle rings do go through a rod. They are a screw pin type. So instead of being a solid ring the one spot is threaded so you take the pin out slip through hole and reinsert pin. I use locktight on threads to hold in place . I prefer solid rings but as long as the pins stay in place there should never be a issue. As well, sometimes you can not make solid rings work with designs.......

Some rings use a watch pin sort of. so instead of being threaded there is a spring loaded pin that you push in, place pin where it is suppose to go and then release. Those do work, but i prefer the threaded types of pins. if using the screw pin,you do see the screwdriver slot (usually phillips) where as the "watch pin type" both sides of the d ring are finished and look solid.

I like the way the rod distributes the load evenly across the top. What is the rod made of? It looks like something I would like to try.

Thanks