I have made 4 bags so far (working on my 5th) using the horse collar latch. I notice that quite a few bags that use this latch have a retainer strip to prevent the latch from opening inadvertently. I have never had this problem. I can take the bags I have made and turn them upside down and shake without the latch opening. I wondered about this and I think it may be the way I am mounting them.

Most of the bags I see have the upper portion mounted under the flap edge. Mine are partially over the flap which angles them in. FWIW I think this helps to prevent unintended openings.

IMG_0270_1.jpg

IMG_0277_1.jpg

When used on horse collars, those latches will wear to the point that they fall open on their own, and the wear isn't necessarily visible. There just comes a point where they don't stay fastened as well.

Big Sioux,

Is there a lot of tension on them when they are used for their intended purpose?

5 hours ago, JamesR said:

Big Sioux,

Is there a lot of tension on them when they are used for their intended purpose?

No, almost none, because the hames hold the collar together when it's on the horse. I think it's just the repeated fastening and unfastening that causes the wear.  On one that's worn bad enough to come apart on it's own, all you have to do is pick the collar up and it unhooks and the collar falls open.  Nevertheless, they're pretty popular and many people request that fastener on their collars as opposed to a buckle and billet.  They are easy enough to replace IF some genius didn't rivet them to the straps holding them on. They are made to be adjustable and do not need to be riveted or sewn to the straps holding them on the collar.  However, on bags or cases, I realize that it doesn't look as neat if they aren't sewn.

Big Sioux,

Thank you for the informative reply. I guess I might have to come up with a way to attach them so they can be replaced without too much effort. 

I get them from Weaver. They have brass and stainless. I imagine the brass would wear out a lot faster then the stainless. What do you think?

Yes James, you are correct in thinking brass would wear faster, but I do have a collar with a stainless fastener that is worn bad enough to fall open also.  I guess if you use any of them long enough, they'll wear.  I'd be interested to hear if anyone that's been using them for a time on bag and case work have seen this. 

Just out of curiosity I was wondering how long this fastener has been around. I have a fairly old, very used collar that has this fastener made from steel. I searched some for patents, but didn't find anything on this one.  I did find collar fasteners that were patented in the late 1800's that I have never seen on a collar.

Edited by Big Sioux Saddlery

I know this post is 6 years old, but I still wanted to say thank you for posting. I had bought a few brass collar fasteners from Weaver and was looking for the proper way of putting them on a leather tool pouch I'm working on.

Edited by ChicagoJoe