stormcrow

1st go at stamping

I bought a basket stamp about 3 months ago so I thought it was time I gave it a try. I’m not sure stamping is for me but I’m pretty pleased with my first attempt.

eWYhVSa.jpg

QFfU6pz.jpg

XyPftz5.jpg

Pretty good start. It's not as easy as it looks. 1/16 of a inch is a big thing.lol Keep on keepin on is all I can say. Ta. Matt.

Question. Did you use the camoflauge tool backwards on purpose? Personally to me it still looks good to me.

Looks pretty good for a first attempt.  One thing I do is cut the border line with  the swivel knife. It makes it more defined when you put the shell (camouflage) around the tooling.  Good job.

3 of the four sides are great, but you need to "lean" the camo tool when it will not quite get to an edge. The Camo tool will blend with that lower edge and it will all appear the same. Practice on some scrap first, of course. The interior is fantastic! BTW, what basketweave tool was that for the body? I like it.

11 hours ago, Mattsbagger said:

Question. Did you use the camoflauge tool backwards on purpose? Personally to me it still looks good to me.

Thanks, to be honest I've never used the camo tool before and I had no idea I'd done it backwards :)

10 hours ago, alpha2 said:

3 of the four sides are great, but you need to "lean" the camo tool when it will not quite get to an edge. The Camo tool will blend with that lower edge and it will all appear the same. Practice on some scrap first, of course. The interior is fantastic! BTW, what basketweave tool was that for the body? I like it.

Thanks, if I do any more stamping I'll definitely be doing a bit of practice first, I almost gave up on this as my third impression was done the wrong way I forgot to rotate the tool, luckilly due to my inexperience I wasnt making a very deep impression so I was able to cover it up. The stamp was bought from etsy basket stamp

10 hours ago, Rohn said:

Looks pretty good for a first attempt.  One thing I do is cut the border line with  the swivel knife. It makes it more defined when you put the shell (camouflage) around the tooling.  Good job.

Thanks, I don't currently have a swivel knife but I'll be getting one if I decide to do more stamping, I probably need to watch a bit few more youtube videos before my next attempt.

7 hours ago, stormcrow said:

Thanks, to be honest I've never used the camo tool before and I had no idea I'd done it backwards :)

I'm actually not anymore if it is backwards. My 1 hr stamping class at Tandy taught me the WRONG way to do a basket weave. So maybe taught the camouflage stamp wrong too. Lol it still is awesome looking. Way better than the one I did yesterday. 

I've always used cams as in the picture, although much closer together so that the "rays" overlap and little to no gap for the cutout part.

Bill

1 hour ago, billybopp said:

I've always used cams as in the picture, although much closer together so that the "rays" overlap and little to no gap for the cutout part.

Bill

This is one I just did. How would you do the corner with camouflage tool facing other way around? My border put on with dividers not knife.

received_10203089664237812.jpeg

received_10203089664437817.jpeg

Good job for first attempt. One of the Tandy videos shows the camouflage tool turned the way that Stormcrow used it along a border. 

Mattsbagger's method looks good as well...there are so many ways that you can use these border tools! Great ideas here!

Rohn - Do you also bevel the border line that you cut with the swivel knife?

large.IMG_1640.JPG.c3b75b1063caeae2b22c7034e20e64a5.JPG

Here's an example on my round knife sheaths.  It's a fancier cam with seeds, but same idea.

Bill

19 hours ago, Lakejumper said:

Good job for first attempt. One of the Tandy videos shows the camouflage tool turned the way that Stormcrow used it along a border. 

Mattsbagger's method looks good as well...there are so many ways that you can use these border tools! Great ideas here!

Rohn - Do you also bevel the border line that you cut with the swivel knife?

I do not bevel the edge, although it may be a good thing to do, my border tool pushes down the edge just fine.

Thanks Rohn...love your work! I haven't tried beveling but was curious. One thing I have learned here, is to tap with more pressure on my tools to get a better impression.