Jack142

Tracing paper

So, I'm tracing a design on some tracing paper, or I'm trying.

Every Pen  I use,   skips, or won't write on the paper.  

I did it with a sharpie pen, but the ink smears, 

So, what do you guys use ?

Edited by Jack142
Spelling

A pencil, 2 or 4 B

I found a pencil works best too. I was able to use my mechanical pencil. To piggyback on this thread...the tracing paper has a dull and shiny side. Does it make a difference which side is up? Are there any cheaper sources than Tandy?

Edited by Lakejumper

Im not sure how small of stuff your doing, possibly to small for this but anyhow. I many times use tracing paper and whatever colors i have left from the pac, they make hand held tracing tools with a metal wheels. Many of these can be found at the hobby or Jo-anns kinda stores. I found these work great and are avail in "different wheel sizes" and also "different wheels" i happen to like a spur kind for the textiles it just Kicks, though a smooth one may be best for some leather projects.

If you have Stohlmans tool book there on pg. 70 are similar tools as this that could be used again on larger tracings, fine things would just require an ole smooth awl of sorts.

I use these with the "transfer" paper i guess they call it in several colors if needed

good luck

Floyd

for textile : http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/401024880255?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

for maybe leather n vinyl: http://www.joann.com/dritz-tracing-wheel-6in-plastic-handle/prd10308.html

Edited by brmax

Use with the matte side up.  Pencil or pen works better on the matte side.  Shiny side against the leather.

Tracing or drafting velum works nice too.  Got a part roll when they switched to plotters for drafting printouts.  No cost was nice.

Tom

7 hours ago, Lakejumper said:

I found a pencil works best too. I was able to use my mechanical pencil. To piggyback on this thread...the tracing paper has a dull and shiny side. Does it make a difference which side is up? Are there any cheaper sources than Tandy?

Probably just about everywhere will be cheaper than tandy. In most cases a common tool or supply that is deemed a specialized component to a craft also includes a huge markup. 

I believe I ordered a roll of 2ft wide tracing paper off of amazon maybe (its been a few years). I have it hung up on a piece of wood rod and just pull and cut a section when I need it. 

All - thanks for the tips and suggestions!

Edited by Lakejumper

Thank You, all you guys helped,  I got a soft lead pencil, and traced the snake that was in Stolmans book. Lots of detail, and the pencil worked well. I don't remember where I got the tracing paper, probably Tandy, at least 10 years ago, but it worked well. Thanks again,  Jack

My recommendation is to stop using tracing paper.  We have copy machines now.  I truly believe that the only reason Al Stohlman didn't use one is because they had not invented it yet.    Photocopy the picture onto regular paper.  Wet your leather, lay a piece of saran wrap over your leather.  Lay the photocopy over the leather/saran wrap.  Trace with a red pen (so you know if you have missed a line).  Every time you trace a picture you add more errors.

19 hours ago, electrathon said:

My recommendation is to stop using tracing paper.  We have copy machines now.  I truly believe that the only reason Al Stohlman didn't use one is because they had not invented it yet.    Photocopy the picture onto regular paper.  Wet your leather, lay a piece of saran wrap over your leather.  Lay the photocopy over the leather/saran wrap.  Trace with a red pen (so you know if you have missed a line).  Every time you trace a picture you add more errors.

I agree.  I use the photocopy method as well.  Saves time, energy, aggravation and materials.  

Printed / copied is the way to go provided that it fits on your paper.  If you still like to be able to see through, use transparency film - just be sure to use the right type for your printer!  The wrong type can cause some expensive problems.

Bill

3 hours ago, billybopp said:

Printed / copied is the way to go provided that it fits on your paper.  If you still like to be able to see through, use transparency film - just be sure to use the right type for your printer!  The wrong type can cause some expensive problems.

Bill

Splicing is your friend.  I do it all the time for larger items.  Conversely, you could take it to a print shop with a large format printer.

Or if your hand drawing on art paper then transferring to your leather. I dont particular like to draw patterns on tracing paper personally.

Mechanical pencil. Bic, specifically. Ha, I buy the exact same kind every time. I also use a nice tracing paper. 

Edited by Beret

I never trace anything. I scan it and create a precise pattern on my vector drawing program. Works great and you can print any number of copies. I don't even bother with Saran wrap, just place the regular computer paper directly on the cased leather. It's easy to see where I've transferred the pattern onto the leather and I don't care if the pattern gets destroyed. I print out another whenever I need a fresh copy. I have a 13" x 19" printer that encompasses almost all my patterns. If needed I cut and paste more sheets together.

Michelle

Edited by silverwingit

A tip; if you are using regular printing paper, you can make it semi translucent and waterproof by giving it a good coating of beeswax/neetsfoot oil mixture