Sign in to follow this  
Rlaing

Swivel knife one more time

I'm thinking based on the research I have done, the blade is the most important part of a swivel knife.  What brand is a decent no-nonsense handle? I need to buy a couple, maybe 3 to accommodate a variety of blades rather than buy one expensive one and swap blades. I am suffering information overload and I see prices from 14.00 to 200.00.  Could someone bring sanity to this for me. 

I would base my decision on the level of activity you plan on applying to the craft.  For example: if you are just learning to work with leather with the goal of making a few things here and there for friends, family, and maybe a craft fair or two then I would go with the less expensive versions of swivel knife such as the Deluxe Swivel Knife variety sold by Tandy and just about every other leather supplier.  It is just what a beginner needs and has the added advantage of being adjustable for comfort and fit (and yes, this does make a difference once you start working more with carving and tooling).  If you decide to make this more of a profession then you can upgrade to the more expensive versions which may, or may not, offer a few more advantages.  I have been using the simple, silicone coated, ergonomic knife bases for years and I continue to enjoy them; they are comfortable, adjustable, and work very smoothly without all of that over exaggerated hype that is intended to justify the price.  It is true though that the blade is the most critical element of the overall knife because if your blade is not made from quality metals you find that it doesn't hold an edge very well and you will constantly be stropping it to get through a project.  All of my blades are high carbon steel hollow-ground blades that hold an edge very well and allow me to get through quite a bit of carving before I even have to consider putting it to the strop.  My blades cost just about as much as my knife base but then again, I do this professionally and understand exactly what difference a quality blade makes.  And, as you are thinking, I do have a separate handle for each blade that I use as there is no reason why you can't have it that way if you select your knife barrel based on need and not hype.

Thanks, Richard, do you have a preferred brand of blade. I have noticed the diameter of the blades is not standard from brand to brand. If that matters? 

I look at  C.S. Osborne #444 Plain Swivel Knife at 18.50 including a straight 3/8" blade and got to wonder what separates the sizzle from the steak.  

Mine are all Craftool and have been around for awhile but the diameter of my blade shafts fit even the basic swivel knife barrels.  Tandy sells a similar product that is about $24 each. If you go with an Osborne tool then go with the #446 adjustable knife so you can have a proper and comfortable fit.  You can also take a look into the ergonomic swivel knives and see what you think.  Always get your blades from the same source as where you got the knife, it makes it easier to get the right one.

You will have to check the size of the blade post against the size of the barrel fitting to see if they are compatible.  This is the reason why it is best to shop for your tools in one place so you aren't trying to guess what will work, you will know what will work.

Barry King offers up blades for his own knives, and for Tandy.  MOST other mass produced are Tandy size - but no guarantees.

Bill

I played with the better Tandy swivel knives today. The large one and the small one.  Felt fine I can't imagine exactly what else one would need/want. Maybe finer steel in blades if these do not retain edge but what else?