Jbrandon

Tooling question.

Why is it that my tooling looks like it is not as defined after I dye the piece? I recently made a belt that looked good, for my skill level, but after I applied a dye and finish is appeared not as deep and defined??? Or maybe I just thought it looked good and once I really looked it over, it wasn't as good as I thought. Any ideas?

I have learned a lot here and am constantly working on my skill level. You may want to post some pictures so that members can see the tooling and provide you with some tips. 

Try "antiquing" for more defined end results. You don't need antique past or liquid, just use Hi-lite stain, cut 50/50 with water if you like, it settles in to the impressions and the excess is removed immediately with a damp paper towel wrapped around something flat so it doesn't get into the tooled areas, just skims the stain off the surface. Go to YouTube for some videos on the subject.

It will color all the leather some, so be sure you've done a sample on scrap!

Here's an example of the effect it has on tooling.

Also, make sure you are properly casing the leather, and be somewhat aggressive with the tooling. Shallower impressions tend to fade with dyeing and such.

M10sml.JPG

Proper casing is essential.  Too wet and the stamps mush.  Too dry and the impression doesn't set into the core properly.

See Bob Parks tutorial on it.

The color you are dyeing could be part of the problem.  Darker colors tend to make carving and stamping details disappear just because they absorb so much light.  Dyeing black will hide much detail in the leather.  Alpha2 may have had the best solution for you.  Antiquing adds color but also highlights the detail in your carving, adding depth.

Pics would help tremendously in diagnosing the issue.  Please post some. Otherwise, we're just guessing.