MADMAX22

Guitar strap installation methods?

So Ive owned and randomly played guitar for 30 yrs but have never really used a strap. I was planning on making a few (have a pattern may as well right) but looking online its difficult to figure out what method people use to attach them. This is necessary when doing tooling to orientate the pattern properly.

So using the "classic" standard pattern with a fixed length end (wide end) and the adjustable length end (skinny end) which end goes up front and which is in the rear?

Looking it seems to me anyways it depends on classic or electric and if the classic has a pin installed on the front end. Most of the electric have the wide end up front and the classics have the narrow end up front or a string attached to the wide end up front.

Anyhow what do you guys plan for when tooling your slings.

Thanks.  

I guess I hadn't thought about this, but I'm in the process of making guitar straps for 2 friends of mine. Springfield sells kits and I'm planning on buying them from there.  I'm interested in the replies to this question. I guess I just assumed the wider part was always in the front and the narrower end was where it adjusts and is in the back.  

Small strap in the back and wide strap on the front is the way I make them to be installed.

Chief

Aweb_Doggett1Front.jpg

Thanks Chief. 

19 hours ago, Chief31794 said:

Small strap in the back and wide strap on the front is the way I make them to be installed.

Chief

Aweb_Doggett1Front.jpg

Nice lookin strap. Is it made to measure or have some hidden adjustments? I am making one for a base guitar at present and as it is backstrap croc I would prefer not to have more than 3 adjustment holes on the back smaller tail end.

I just received an acrylic template from  www.blackriverlaser.com   it is for a 2 1/2" wide strap.. i'm going to pad it with some thin closed cell foam.. it will be a gift to my son.. ordered leather from www.hidehouse.com   they have a wonderful catalog and it is full of beautiful leather..

On 2/22/2017 at 5:40 AM, RockyAussie said:

Nice lookin strap. Is it made to measure or have some hidden adjustments? I am making one for a base guitar at present and as it is backstrap croc I would prefer not to have more than 3 adjustment holes on the back smaller tail end.

Thanks, it has adjustment holes, but I normally measure the strap the customer is using now and put that measurement in the middle of the adjustment range.

Adjustment area looks like this.

Chief

Aweb_0536.jpg

Thanks Chief. I have just finished it off and here are some pics of it without a guitar unfortunately. Trust me applying and cutting the backing and then finish edging is a real challenge.

Brian

DSC07007_resize.JPG

DSC07006_resize.JPG

DSC07135_resize.jpg

DSC07128.jpg

Nice work Brian.

Looks Good, nice work.

Chief

I think the wide bit at the front and thin at the back looks really odd. I have made two adjustable straps but have never been sure of the measurements. I just winged it each time. Is there a sure fire way of measuring up to make a guitar strap in this manner?

I'm not sure if there can be any sure fire way. The guitars can be so different and the way a user wears them as well the only safe way would be to measure in person....somewhat. If you can get a previously used one from them can help. Other than that they would have to give you the measurements between the holes and as I have done put one either side in case of stretch or extra width problems etc. As the Chief has kindly shown above, I think would cover just about any possible size variations.

Brian

Hiya everyone. Hope all is well. I'm in the thinking out stage of making guitar and rifle straps from paracord. My question is does anyone know where you can buy the adjustable strap portion only. I've searched and searched but no luck. I'm also in the art stage of two leather straps for the same purpose. I'm a disabled mechanic, kinda new to being not able to be active anymore,, so I found that Paracord and leather allow me to be somewhat creative.  Just not sure what parts are called .  If anyone can point me in the right direction,why id be mighty appreciative.  Thanks to ask all in advance, God bless ya all. My name is Mark.  Thanks allowing me your time.