davisleather

Carving mountains

I am trying to carve mountains similar tho the ones in this picture, but not quite as far in the background though. I have pictorial carving finesse by all stohlman but I still can't seem to get as much depth in the valleys as what I would like. Any help would be appreciated.

tlc_2007.jpg

Check out www.learnleather.com.  There is a video by Bob Beard about beveling that shows how he does this technique.  Very informative.

Strange -- that pictorial carving book is GREAT for that type of thing.  Got a pic of your progress?  Maybe I can suggest something ..

These are just a few of the practice carvings I've done. I'm  outlying having problems with getting enough depth in the valleys that are in the middle.

1487715810949-1217624988.jpg

1487715844111-389995841.jpg

Your beveling looks deep enough.  What's missing is the matting.  Stohlman covers that issue pretty well in that book.  For more examples - and discussion of this - - search for posts on this site by Yaklady... fantastic examples of matting.  And here's a simple example just to show that the beveling doesn't need to be deep to show "depth" -- this wallet is done in 3/4 oz leather.

e.jpg

I particularly liked this one: 

Edited by JLSleather

The pictures of your work help on a diagnosis.  There are many ways to achieve the look you're going for and it appears to me you're using a standard beveler.  A figure beveler is a far better tool for this type of work, but a modeling spoon will work in place of one of you don't have any.  As for the book, Al tells you what tools he uses for every image in it.  If you don't have those particular tools, you'll have to improvise.  What the book can't show you is the technique.  Only the aftermath.  

The reason you don't like the depth isn't only because of the matting, although that will help.  What's causing you problems is the steep little Vs where you beveled, with the surrounding leather still at the same level like a plain of wood with channels routered in it.  You have flat leather with those Vs beveled in it.  What you want to do is create wide stair step effect, with each peak or valley standing at different levels (Or at least appearing to do so).

Lastly, your book has everything you need to know, but if thats still not enough, seeing HOW the technique is done can help tremendously.

Your leather is far too wet.