Inketjet?  Laser?   Is this something that could be done in my canon pro 100?  That sucker will print canvas.

I have heard of someone using the canon pro 900 which has a straight through feed but I think they could only get 3 ounce leather through it.  My feed is not straight, but close.  I also use 9 ounce leather though.   :(

I would probably have to figure the design into teh style of holster, like as in the Glock 42 ink design fits the Glock 42 holster design.  No ink crossing stitch lines, flags follow contours of the finished shape.. 'n' such.

But I'm not obsessive. That's my story, 'n' I'm stickin tuit.

You'll probably be able to sell a ton of those.  But then I wonder what separates you from an outfit that is mass producing this sort of thing in China?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not slamming you.  I mean it is business after all. 

as far as i know there is no one printing holsters....yet. also not all inks will flex with the leather. it must be flexible. i was worried about the ink wearing off but all of the people i have sold these to have reported them working flawlessly. Im currently stitching 12 up and will be putting them up for sale. hopefully they will sell like hotcakes.

once i get a sewing machine i will be looking to mass produce these

Very cool idea! I have seen a similar technique, where the design is reversed, then printed on wax paper. You then lay the paper to the leather and transfer the ink.

Those look great! There's lots of DIY videos that show how to transfer laser prints to various items - wood planks, tile, etc., but I haven't bothered trying it yet. For those that really want to try something similar, Google "laserjet image transfer" and you'll find several variations of the same technique. Hard to compete with the ease (and results) of simply printing directly to leather though...

These look very cool, especially the weathered flag and the Bill of Rights. I see a lot of possible applications that would sell. Great idea!

There has to be a method to the madness, I have not seen any of Savoy holsters in person but it seems like it might be a similar fashion, and if that is the case maybe a printer will be in more holster makers shops in the near future.  Maybe something could be looked researched and shared with the group!!!

For what it's worth, I just visited a shop for my 8-5. The guy had multiple commercial grade 3D printers, CNC machine, laser cutter, etc. He had this swanky printer that he said would even print on oil - not exactly sure how that works. He said I could even print on my skin with it... He uses it to print graphics on all of his 3D prints, golf balls for charity events, etc.

What are you running these on, a Roland? Has to be pigment inks to keep the image on the leather. I have a VP-300, but I don't think I could run 8oz leather through it...hmmm

Eric, did you ask any in depth questions on the printer?  I had an Epson 7200 many years ago that use pigment dyes, it would print on canvas but don't know if it would do 8oz leather.

No, we were there to look at his 3D printer and only briefly talked about the color printer. I should have taken pics so I could read up on the models.

A couple of years ago I made a journal cover for my son's girlfriend at the time I used transfer sheet like you would use for fabric and covered it with satin sheen. 

On 2/22/2017 at 3:51 PM, VMTinajero said:

What are you running these on, a Roland? Has to be pigment inks to keep the image on the leather. I have a VP-300, but I don't think I could run 8oz leather through it...hmmm

i ran this on a k series cet color flatbed

On 2/22/2017 at 2:35 PM, OLDNSLOW said:

There has to be a method to the madness, I have not seen any of Savoy holsters in person but it seems like it might be a similar fashion, and if that is the case maybe a printer will be in more holster makers shops in the near future.  Maybe something could be looked researched and shared with the group!!!

by looking at the Savoy holsters i assume they have stamps for the design and they go back and either dye or paint them to embellish the stamp. looks like they might do some hand work in some spots. my guess is that they have full design stamps.