JulieP

Recommended DVD for leather carving and tooling?

I was wondering if there are any good DVD's you can recommend for basic to advanced leather carving and tooling.  I am a visual learner and would love to find a few good DVD's. Or if there are any on youtube you really like that would be great too.  I've scoured youtube but Im sure I haven't found them all!

Thanks

Nope, sure don't know none.  But if you've 'scoured', maybe you can tell us about some worth viewing ;)

Jim Linnell did an OK video series for Tandy on tooling and making a wallet.  It covers most of the basics at least in 13 parts that are short enough to be digestible.  Nothing too fancy but not bad!

Bill

Hey Julie!

You didn't specify price, so here goes!  Jeremiah Watt (ranch2arena.com) has, in my opinion, the best DVD set on carving.  It's $179.95, but before you faint you should know that it is a 3-DVD set, each DVD is 2 hours long!  The videos are clear and concise with excellent camera angles and crystal clear explanations.  I also happen to think Jeremiah is a hoot, but that's pretty subjective.

Cary Schwarz has two excellent videos, Floral Design ($45.00) and Floral Carving ($45.00).  They are both outstanding.  Cary's design style differs from Jeremiah's but both are excellent instructors and all the DVD's are beautifully shot, lighted, and presented.

I don't have any personal relationship with either man, and I don't get any kick-back for the recommendations.  I just wish either resources was available when Al Stholman and I taught me to tool 38 years ago.  Well, nobody knew what the hell a DVD was 38 years ago, but you get the idea.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Thank you Bill, Mike and Cowboycolonel.  I will check them out.  I appreciate the recommendations!!

Julie

Try www.learnleather.com  There is excellent video content there.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 5:14 PM, immiketoo said:

Try www.learnleather.com  There is excellent video content there.

I will second that!