shotypua

Bad smell on hide

I just purchased a 10 sq ft of cowhide. I noticed that it has a bad smell. Like it's been in storage for awhile. I didn't notice it when i was at the store. Anyway, how can i get rid of this smell? Thank you! 

You don't mention what kind of hide, what kind of tanning method produced it or what your intended use is.

Some oil-tanned leathers will smell bad forever but the strength f the odor may diminish over time. Probably your best hope is to hang it vertically and let it air out. 

If that doesn't work, you might try putting it in a large enough fairly air tight container like a garment bag with something pleasant smelling and see if the leather doesn't absorb some of its odor.

Good Luck,

MIchelle

Chemically smells are retained and carried by oils. You need to replace the oils in that leather. If its veg tanned try giving a really good fresh dose of neetsfoot oil, to push out and replace the old oils. Then hang it up in a warm airy place to let the neetsfoot oil evapoarate out a bit. If the smell is really bad you may need to do this again