Sign in to follow this  
shirleyz

Introduction

My name is Shirley Zanelli, and my business is 'Bad Ass Seats' out of Las Vegas. Here are a few of thethings I've done over the last 12 months.

2_Boulder_Choppers_2.jpg

3_J__s_Seat_6.jpg

5_Greg__s_Seat_3.jpg

6_Jim__s_Seat_5.jpg

9__Bob_Spina_Seat_4.jpg

9__Bob_Spina_Seat_5.jpg

7_Yamaha_1.jpg

7_Yamaha_9.jpg

8_Jimmy__s_Bag_1.jpg

copy_Randy__s_seat_007.jpg

Western_Seat__15_.jpg

post-92-1151789688_thumb.jpg

post-92-1151789730_thumb.jpg

post-92-1151789826_thumb.jpg

post-92-1151789870_thumb.jpg

post-92-1151789928_thumb.jpg

post-92-1151789948_thumb.jpg

post-92-1151790005_thumb.jpg

post-92-1151790055_thumb.jpg

post-92-1151790105_thumb.jpg

post-92-1151790192_thumb.jpg

post-92-1151790280_thumb.jpg

:thumbsup: Shirley- WOW!!!

BadAssSeats, Las Vegas :devil:

Love 'em!

Johanna

Holly's right, the Sheridan is pretty cool!, but my favorite is her self-portrait! Nice --- Shirley! ... lol

Shirley, your seats are amazing! The other members were right when they said that Paul Cox has nothing on you. I am going to be opening a motorcycle repair shop in the next year or so and I got into leathercrafting for the purpose of making custom seats to have something to do during the winter months. Without giving away too many secrets can you give me some pointers on some things? Such as what kind of foam, what type and weight of leather, and which type of lacing style you use. I was looking at the seam on the"Randy Fat Boy" seat, it looks like the side is under the top piece, are there two rows of holes on the side pieces with one row matching up with the top holes or just one row each? Any advice you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You for your nice words, I appreciate it. I have only been doing this for a year, if I can do it so can you. Just don't do it better than me!

Okay, where to start? I normally use a 6/7 oz piece for the top, I like to be able to tool pretty deeply, and it saves the seat from wrinkling. For the sides I use a 3/4 oz, it’s easier to mold to the form of the seat and you don’t want to add too much thickness to the bottom.

When using the ‘x’ stitch I do a single row of lace holes on each piece 3/8†in. The top seat piece is laced over the side piece and when the stitching is pulled taut it locks the too pieces in place, very simple. Otherwise I use the Spanish round braid ( I believe) and butt the edges together, this being my favorite. It lays flatter, more comfortable to ride.

The foam I use is black closed cell neoprene. It comes in different depths ands lengths. I build it up in layers to get the seat thickness I need. I then use a rasp to shape it. It is water proof which is important, however I always tell my customers that this doesn’t mean the leather is.

Hope this helps.

Shirley