Ordiedaddy

My first Traveler's Notebook, Pen Slips

I just recently started working with leather after my wife discovered the Midori Traveler's Notebooks. However, she did not want to order the refills online every time so she wanted to be able to go to a store and get the refill. So I went with the Field Notes or Moleskine 3.5" x 5.5" size. I used 4/5 oz. veggie tan leather for all projects. That being said I have decided to used Milled Veggie Tanned leather on any notebooks in the future because the leather became very stiff after staining, even with Neatsfoot oil. I know my saddle stitching and finishing needs work, but we all start somewhere right. 

Notebook Exterior & Interior II.jpg

Purple Pen Slip.jpg

Red Pen Slip.jpg

Looks like you are off to a great start. I'm gearing up to do a run of passport wallets soon. Check out the deals at maverick leather on their horween chrome excel. They look like they are going to work great for my projects.

12 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

Looks like you are off to a great start. I'm gearing up to do a run of passport wallets soon. Check out the deals at maverick leather on their horween chrome excel. They look like they are going to work great for my projects.

Nstarleather has horween scrap at $6 a lbs in the leather and lace for sale section. Looks like big pieces. 

I wanted to get some but being tumbled I was worried about it being too soft for wallets and such. I could be wrong. I usually am.

Very nice work.  You should be proud.

I've done a few knife and pen slips as well....those are small but real skill builders IMO.

I don't know if its considered good form or not, but I drop the uppermost stitches into a groove on the outer edge to minimize wear since they typically ride in (and out) of my pocket.

IMG_8318.JPG

11 hours ago, Gogogordy said:

Very nice work.  You should be proud.

I've done a few knife and pen slips as well....those are small but real skill builders IMO.

I don't know if its considered good form or not, but I drop the uppermost stitches into a groove on the outer edge to minimize wear since they typically ride in (and out) of my pocket.

IMG_8318.JPG

Good point on dropping the stitch into a groove, I will have to try that.

I really like the way you've incorporated a pen holder into the notebook. I have been searching for a good way to add a pen holder (after all, what good is a notebook without something to write with) and I'm going to start with this idea and get customer reactions at a show this weekend (Mother's Day, 2017).