Hi All

Does anybody have a pattern for this kind of mag pouch, I am trying to use it to make a sheath for my multi tool. Not my picture borrowed it of the web

Regards Forester

DaveMagC-1.jpg

I don't have a pattern, but I found a picture of the back of it, if it helps...

BackMagC.jpg

Thanks Red Bear, I have that photo as well, I have been scratching my head thinking how its put together.

Forester

I am not really adding anything here but, it is a horizontal mag pouch if that does help any and Blackhawk and another company sells them on amazon for like 25 bucks.  I was going to buy one to dissect it but never did.

On 2/23/2017 at 4:52 PM, Forester said:

Thanks Red Bear, I have that photo as well, I have been scratching my head thinking how its put together.

Forester

Actually the back picture is quite helpful in figuring out the construction.  Just looking at the front picture I would have guessed that there were two pieces of leather sewn together at the long edge to form the wrap around belt loop BUT...the back picture shows the ingenuity of the design.  Basically one L-shaped piece of leather sewn along the bottom and one long edge after one fold.  The remainder of one L forms the belt strap and the other forms the strap.  Quite simple and quite elegant.  

Sorry i I don't have a pattern for you though. 

Yeah, it's one piece.  Neat design.  For ease of patterning thought I would go 2 pieces.  Another bonus is you save material.  Odd patterns like that just feel like they take up too much usable leather and the cuts left on the hide become unusable sometimes.  You are probably going to have to get some card stock and work the pattern out there.  

Hi All

Thank you for your replies, will keep trying.

Regards Forester

I have been experimenting and unless it is two layers bonded flesh to flesh (this I don't think it is since there is only stitching at the pouch seems and the edges look single layered)  the only way I can see it working (and based on the double stitch line on the long side) I think it is two pieces joined at the long seam with the grain side facing opposite directions so you can have stamping on the retention strap and the belt loop wrap around. So I would build it like this. - if two layers then it can be one piece)

001.jpg

12 hours ago, plinkercases said:

I have been experimenting and unless it is two layers bonded flesh to flesh (this I don't think it is since there is only stitching at the pouch seems and the edges look single layered)  the only way I can see it working (and based on the double stitch line on the long side) I think it is two pieces joined at the long seam with the grain side facing opposite directions so you can have stamping on the retention strap and the belt loop wrap around. So I would build it like this. - if two layers then it can be one piece)

001.jpg

Plinker,

I think you've got the body of the pouch on the wrong side of the seam.  I base this on the location of the stitch line.  I could be way off base seeing as I'm basing this on two photos of the actual item without being able to see it in three dimensions.  

Forester,

Listen, I suspect you are going to have to do as chiefjason suggested and get out some paper and make a paper pattern for the particular item in question to get actual sizing.  

I took a 1911 mag and made a quick rough pattern based on my interpretation of the photos above.  Basically, one piece that wraps completely around the mag 360°.  This is my best guess.  Hope it helps. 

IMG_6548.JPG

IMG_6546.JPG

IMG_6547.JPG

I thought it looked like one piece, but tough to be sure without seeing the OTHER side of the pouch.  As is, it looks like they stitched down the fold.

Looks like Joon typing at the same time.  It looks like his design is correct.

Edited by JLSleather

Yup Joon got it. I was stuck on the retention strap being on the middle section (from a previous think through) and thus could not get the stamping on the same side all round. Good work thanks,

Thanks for all the input guys, its appreciated.

Regards Forester

Hi All

Took me a while but this is what I came up with. Made from 2 parts as I did not like the bulge when the sheath was bent around the belt. Will fit a Leatherman Wave or Rebar.

Regards Forester

DSCF7218.JPG

DSCF7220.JPG

DSCF7219.JPG

DSCF7221.JPG

DSCF7224.JPG

DSCF7225.JPG

DSCF7226.JPG

DSCF7227.JPG

DSCF7228.JPG

nice job I really like that, but if you would please take one more photo of how the wrap around strap attaches.

Thanks 

Hi Oldnslow.

The wrap around strap is sewn on, if you look at both sides of the sheath one has 2 layers of leather the other side 3.

Regards Forester

Very nice thanks for the pics and experience with it.