WhiteBuff

Cobra class 4

What is the proper needle for leather on the class 4, they sent me 794 S style needles, does the "S" stand for spear point ? Is that for cloth?

thanks Clint

That is the correct point for leather (in addition to the sometimes available diamond points). If you need to sew denim or other cloth, buy some 7x3 round point needles. The spear or chisel point you got will shred cloth.

Ok thanks, I'm just having trouble with dropping stitches on sewing 4 pieces of 6 oz leather, I increased the stitch length and dropped the needle down about 1/6" but still not consistent 

Thank you very much

Clint

I always have the needle as far up as it will go.  Never did care for the 'S' needles, though, due to the hole they make (in line with stitch).  The stitch length shouldn't affect skipping.  More likely your needle is rotated out of position.

2 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Snip 

The stitch length shouldn't affect skipping.  More likely your needle is rotated out of position.

Skipped stitches all the time can be caused by inserting the needle 180 degrees out of phase. The scarf (cutout) above the eye should face due-right on a Cobra Class 4 (and all other similar machines). If you inserted the needle with the scarf facing to the left, the hook can't pick off the loop effectively.

What gauge needle are you using? At that thickness it would need to be I think 200 or more. Just a guess. If you have gone down to a thinner needle your hook may need to be closer to the needle as well. I would carefully check the timing first before that as these machines get knocked out easily and will still work most of the time.

OOOPS.. to answer your original question, teh 794 series needle is correct.  I like the "LL" point needles, which you can get here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400730390609?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=670274800836&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

There are places to order in more bulk, but there isn't much cost saving ordering 100-packs, and these people are pretty quick.