Equiplay Saddlery

Briefcase For My Brother

This is a briefcase a recently made for my brother.  His old one was in pretty bad shape and he asked if I could make him something simple but functional.  This is what I came up with.  I made it using Wickett and Craig harness leather.  Feel free to critique.

IMG_0533.JPG

IMG_0534.JPG

IMG_0535.JPG

IMG_0536.JPG

IMG_0537.JPG

IMG_0538.JPG

Looks great, I'm sure it will out last him.

Did you use W & C's Traditional Harness or Show harness for this?  Whatever it is, I like the look of it. I don't think I've ever used a side of their russet, although I've used a lot of their black.  I'm toying with the idea of ordering some of W & C's burgundy Harness, as HO has stopped producing their Rosewood, which I thought was absolutely the prettiest leather.  I like the cart buckles on the back pockets of the briefcase.

14 minutes ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

Did you use W & C's Traditional Harness or Show harness for this?  Whatever it is, I like the look of it. I don't think I've ever used a side of their russet, although I've used a lot of their black.  I'm toying with the idea of ordering some of W & C's burgundy Harness, as HO has stopped producing their Rosewood, which I thought was absolutely the prettiest leather.  I like the cart buckles on the back pockets of the briefcase.

Big Sioux thanks for the compliment.  It really is nice harness leather.  I love the feel of it.  It has body but still bends.  I pulled the invoice to be sure and it is listed as HARNESS 6 oz BUCK BROWN STD.  I used the same leather to make a purse that I posted in another thread this morning.  You can get another look at finished product if you look at it.  Both the purse and the briefcase were finished with a light coat of Tee See oil and then TanKote.  

Really well done. Great job.

Looks great.  A briefcase for my brother is my next big project.  Just trying to get it worked out in my mind how I want to do it.

Another real nice bag love the rich colour and finish

very nice

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 7:53 AM, Bogwot said:

Another real nice bag love the rich colour and finish

Thanks Bogwot. I really like the feel of this leather. 

Beautiful color, nice execution and I'm sure your brother will love it.  One thing I wonder about though is the pockets on the back.  Usually, the backside, the side that will rub up against your body, is flat, for comfort.  Maybe a magazine pocket, but largely flat.  If your brother only uses that carry handle, no issue.  Something to think about.

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 0:49 PM, Tugadude said:

Beautiful color, nice execution and I'm sure your brother will love it.  One thing I wonder about though is the pockets on the back.  Usually, the backside, the side that will rub up against your body, is flat, for comfort.  Maybe a magazine pocket, but largely flat.  If your brother only uses that carry handle, no issue.  Something to think about.

Thanks for the compliment Tugadude.  The design of this was a close copy of his old one that had just worn out.  He liked and had been carrying for at least 25 years.  He wanted something similar so this is what I came up with but the clean back side does make sense.  He doesn't use it all the time and didn't even want a shoulder strap because he said it would just get in the way.  I did put loops on in case he changes his mind later though.

No Critique. Can't critique. Won't critique. Complement, YUP! "How can I be down?".

Question. Why are the pockets in the back? Was it a request or a function thing?

If it will be carried primarily by the handles it will be fine.  It just jumped out at me so I asked.  I made two for myself that I carry Monday thru Friday and to me, pockets would be an issue.  But only because I always use a shoulder strap.

It is a great piece!  Looking forward to more examples of your work. 

18 hours ago, Grumpymann said:

No Critique. Can't critique. Won't critique. Complement, YUP! "How can I be down?".

Question. Why are the pockets in the back? Was it a request or a function thing?

Thanks Grumpymann.  It was a close copy of an old one he had and liked so that is why I designed it that way.  He probably doesn't use it but once or twice a month so at his request I didn't even make a shoulder strap for it.  The pockets on the old one were on the back and he likes it so that's what he got.  No other reason.

13 hours ago, Tugadude said:

If it will be carried primarily by the handles it will be fine.  It just jumped out at me so I asked.  I made two for myself that I carry Monday thru Friday and to me, pockets would be an issue.  But only because I always use a shoulder strap.

It is a great piece!  Looking forward to more examples of your work. 

Thanks.  Hopefully I will have more examples soon. I appreciate the critique though.  It gives me something to think about on the next one.

Edited by Equiplay Saddlery