Wulfing

Making my own patterns

I've pretty much decided to make my own patterns as I had a couple of bad experiences with patterns I purchased and a lot of the free ones on the net are not always good. My thinking is my own patterns will give me a  product thats within my own skillset to make, as my skills improve I can adjust my patterns. It will also be a learning curve.

Recently 3 out of 4 patterns I paid for didnt meet my expectations or ended up being a bit complicated for a beginner like me. 

What is everyone else's view on this??

I make my own. Sometimes based on someone's else's photos.

I've bought a few from China and they always seem to be slightly too small. Credit cards pockets end up being too tight.

I've also used some free ones that apparently were not tested so things didn't quite fit right.

You have to make the pattern a few times and make changes that you only find out about when actually making the item.

There are some free ones on my site.  100% money-back guarantee... you don't like it.. full refund.

JL,    I just finished a pattern for a card wallet that I am working on now.  It's just about the same size as the free pattern you posted.  Actually, its about a 1/4 in larger, I figured once I line everything up and glue ( before stitching ) I would have to trim the edges.  So, I left a little extra. I wish I would have seen your pattern first.

29 minutes ago, Jack142 said:

So, I left a little extra. I wish I would have seen your pattern first.

Not so!!  I put those up there so people could use them, but it's better if people use them as examples to start making their own! ;)

Don't tell nobody, but sometimes when I got crap in my wallet (that same one) I rather think I might have made it 1/4" bigger :blush:

Here is a card/ money clip I made for my kid, its designed to hold his license and a couple of cards, with a money clip on the back. He is a fitness instructor and wears those nylon gym shorts with no back pocket.

wallet resized 1.jpg

wallett resized 2.jpg

In my opinion, making the pattern and learning to "tweak" it to the perfection you want, is the hardest part of making the holster.

Bought a couple of pattern packs from well known makers and had decent results, but it always felt like cheating. I have nothing against those that buy patterns and those that make patterns for sale, but, the thing that has set me apart is being able to design and make holsters that are truly mine.

"Give a person a pattern and they can make a holster. Teach them to make their own pattern and they can make whatever the hell they want" (Yep, stole part of that!)

If you're going to purchase patterns, I would recommend:

For shape / design:

For learning to tool leather:

• Tech Tips
  • Pictorial Carving
  • and pick up some downloadable carving designs while you're there.  This will let you concentrate on learning the carving.

There are thousands of books and patterns available these days (not to mention an ocean of why-tube videos), but I have yet to see any which give a more complete understanding of the PRINCIPLES laid out in these (including some which apparently think that if they charge more money, some people will think they are "worth more").  

The point of these materials is not to carve and / or make THAT project, as much as it is to show you WHY it's done that way so you can create your own.

George how are ya?  I thought you had bid us all farewell, nice to see you contributing?